FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: PTSA event....cake walk...food trucks, etc.  (Read 2882 times)

Description:

Offline Stinky10

PTSA event....cake walk...food trucks, etc.
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
We’d like to attend the PTSA event on Friday, but need a little help to understand the potential risk due to allergens potentially being present.   I’d also love your help in understanding SCHOOL's policy with regard to PTSA’s events and distributing food to students.  So far the only event that we’ve attended, the ice cream social, there were peanut warnings on the ice cream and the popsicles.  There was another recent event that we skipped, a Potluck I think, because there just wasn’t time to see if it would be safe.    I think there was also food handed out by the PTSA at the walkathon?  I did see specific requests for nut free items, but not sure what overall precautions were taken at the event.  Was food offered to K or other allergic children?  (I’m asking more to provoke thought than looking for an answer)

K has indicated that he wants to attend the event on Friday so I’d like to understand a bit more about the cake walk and the event in general.   I’m not sure that it would be safe for him.   I haven’t seen any indication that donations should be nut free.  It’s quite possible that I’ve missed them and if that’s case I’m sorry!   I haven’t been able to find anything on Crepes on Wheels on the internet.    I did find the link to Buns on Wheels and their menu looks nut free.  Will there also be a Crepe truck?  Will they be selling nutty items?   Are there any other food items present?  Sometimes Haunted Houses can have stations with food incorporated.

Being new to SCHOOL it’s been hard to be proactive and know what your traditions are so as to anticipate the potential allergens at events.   Are there any policies in place that would be able to address this, not just for my child but for the many children with allergies?  It’s my understanding that since these events are being help on school grounds that they should comply with the same policies and regulations that would apply to the classroom environment.    The events at OLD SCHOOL IN SAME DISTRICT seemed to take into account nut and dairy allergies regularly and provided a safe environment with reasonable alternatives for food offered so I haven’t had to deal with this for a few years.   K only has peanut allergy but I’m sure that you have other with dairy and egg and all sorts of concerns.   It’ kind of takes the U out of Unity when U can’t attend the event safely.  (that's a play on the school motto)

I’d appreciate your thoughts and guidance.
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline Stinky10

Re: PTSA event....cake walk...food trucks, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »
To be clear - the above was a letter that I sent to the principals of the school.

But Nevermind!  he doesn't want to go.  I had it confused with something else. LOL

I'm such an idiot!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:13:14 PM »
Ah, well, that makes things easier.  it will be interesting to see the response you get, though. I'm betting this principal hasn't dealt with the concerns before. 

Our history:  we went to PTA events--just never did the cake walk (or maybe once did but with the clear understanding that young DS [first or second grade] would give his cake to his bestie as a present if he won).

We used to have an awesome PTA thread. It would be great to have that content here. It dealt with 504 discussions, etc.   
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
I got a pretty nice response thanking me for my "thoughtful" letter.   

I think they will take it seriously - or would have - but I do think that the PTSA does *want* to be inclusive and I think that they think that they are already -

we are only in this school for one year and while I'd love to get involved to help make even this event safe - even though DS wont go - I just don't have  the time.