FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Searching for a good samaritan  (Read 1475 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

Searching for a good samaritan
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Mother-seeks-stranger-who-helped-save-daughters-life-on-I-277--226740251.html

by MICHELLE BOUDIN / NBC Charlotte
Bio | Email | Follow: @MichelleBoudin

Posted on October 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A peanut allergy nearly killed her two year old.

Now a Charlotte mother is trying to find the good Samaritan who helped save Mia.

With her big blue eyes, long lashes, and dimpled smile, little Mia Fowler may be one of the cutest cooks around.

The two-and-a-half year old is busy making scrambled eggs on the plastic stove of her toy kitchen that sits in the corner of her family’s living room.

“This is for you, this is soup,” she says.

But just a few days ago, a food allergy almost killed her.

“It made me sick,” she says quietly -- leaning into her mom’s chest for comfort.

Like many kids, she is allergic to nuts.

She had a cookie at a friend’s house and a bad reaction on the way home. Mom was stuck in rush hour traffic on the interstate when she realized Mia was having trouble breathing.

“I was frantic, Mia was in a  lot of distress at that point and things were getting worse,” Jill Fowler says.

Eight months pregnant with her second child, Jill literally just stopped her car in the middle of I-277. She had no choice.

“Somebody rolled down window and said, do you need help? I was like yes, please! And somebody else said I'll call 911.”

Another stranger pulled in front of Jill’s car and jumped out to help.

Together the two women used the Epipen on the little girl. The first time it didn’t seem to work.

“I read the directions out loud to her, I held Mia down, at that point she was a disaster and we did it again, we counted out loud together and we worked as a team.”

Mia is doing fine, and cooking up a storm in her kitchen. Mom though really wants to find the mystery Good Samaritan.

Both mother and daughter have a simple message.

“Thank you,” little Mia says.

Jill says she believes the woman was driving a grey Mini Cooper and may have a teenage son. If you can help bring the two women back together, contact NBC Charlotte reporter Michelle Boudin (mboudin@wcnc.com) and she’ll make the connection.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:02:02 PM by YouKnowWho »
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Searching for a good samaritan
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
Wow-- lucky little girl.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.