FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Running buddy vs. spi belt  (Read 2730 times)

Description:

Offline MandCmama

Running buddy vs. spi belt
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »
Our Spi belts were perfect for 2 auvi qs, but only fit 1 Epi (uncomfortablely). 9's spi belt is holding up fine, but for some reason 7's keeps wearing holes. I can't figure out what he does differently to cause this. They are even almost exactly the same size.

I emailed spi to see if they'd make their larger pouch on the child size belt. They said they couldn't, but "stay tuned, bc in a few months changes are coming to the kids line". That's great, but I need something now.

I'm thinking of switching to the XXL running buddy. Has anyone tried this? Is it going to be too large for little boys to wear comfortablely? I like the fact that the inner part is "water resistant".
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline joanna5

Re: Running buddy vs. spi belt
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:51:46 PM »
My son fits two Epis in a child sized pouch.  You have to sort of angle them in, but they do fit.  We tried the small running buddy when we had the Auvi Q and it worked well to hold two, but I suspect a bigger one would have more issues with bulk, especially on a small child.  That's just a hunch, though.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
Do you take the epi's out of their outer case? I can't even imagine what my 7 yo's spi belt would look like with 2 in it. I'd be darning holes every day! I'd also be afraid to take them out of the outer case bc both boys are SO hard on them!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »
I have two EpiPens in my SPIbelt, the smaller size one.  It is a very tight fit.  I had to place them in a zip top bag to prevent the cap hinges from wearing holes in the fabric.  It works very well.  the bag protects them from sweat, dirt, and moisture too.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:04:17 AM »
Ugh. I've tried that. My boys manage to disintegrate plastic bags. I'm at a loss.
Pennsylvania, USA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »
Have you tried using the thicker freezer ones? Normal ones don't last for me either.  I have to use the Glad medium size freezer bags. Even then, I replace them every two or three weeks, though yours may have to be replaced more often.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline joanna5

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:53:37 PM »
Do you take the epi's out of their outer case? I can't even imagine what my 7 yo's spi belt would look like with 2 in it. I'd be darning holes every day! I'd also be afraid to take them out of the outer case bc both boys are SO hard on them!

No, they're still in the case.   He's had this belt for maybe 7 months and has no holes in it (yet).  He's pretty hard on it, too- wears it all of the time, including recess, playing out in the yard, etc.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
Disused to see reinforcements in his spi belt. It always developed holes--this helped. We just didn't expect them to last more than a year. And they were so much less expensive than the old EpiBelt that we didn't mind replacing them when needed.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts