FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Adult onset food allergies?  (Read 11158 times)

Description:

AgnesJackson

Re: Adult onset food allergies?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2023, 05:27:09 AM »
Has anyone developed a food allergy in middle age?  This is rather ironic but after my son passed food challenges for tree nuts, I started eating tree nuts again and discovered that eating pistachios now make my throat sore and itchy.  It happened three times consecutively.  Of course I've stopped eating pistachios and have scheduled an appointment with an allergist. 
Just curious if something similar has happened to anyone else?  If my child has food allergies, am I genetically predisposed to developing it too?  Never thought of it going the other direction before!
Yes, it is possible for someone to develop a food allergy in middle age, even if they have never experienced any symptoms before. This is known as adult-onset food allergy, and it can occur in response to a wide range of foods.

In your case, it is possible that you have developed an allergy to pistachios, even if you have eaten them without any issues in the past. It's good that you have scheduled an appointment with an allergist to get a proper diagnosis and determine the best course of action.

As for whether you are genetically predisposed to developing food allergies because your child has them, the answer is not clear-cut. While genetics can play a role in the development of food allergies, it's not a guarantee that you will develop the same allergies as your child.

That being said, if you have a family history of allergies or a personal history of allergic reactions, you may be at a higher risk for developing food allergies. It's important to work with an allergist to determine your risk factors and develop a plan to manage any allergies you may have.