login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: ODing on allergy meds  (Read 3513 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: ODing on allergy meds
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's safe

I guess some people actually NEED to be told this??

:insane:

None of the following things is specifically ILLEGAL, at least not everywhere:

Feeding a 3yo four double-espressos before a cross-country flight
Driving one's car into the ocean, river, or lake
Jumping from one's own roof in order to test the tinfoil "flying suit" that you've constructed in your family room
sleeping in a chest freezer
drinking Drano

It seems to be a rare individual who doesn't comprehend that some things are just a bad idea, however. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
... or anything that starts out with OD'ing. Though I get SL's point that our kids have open access and a closer relationship with Benadryl as a quasi-savior in comparison with peers. Most of us wouldn't question our kids walking around with multiple doses, openly carrying a full bottle or blister pack sheet.

I did lmao reading your list.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:30:18 AM by twinturbo »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
Well, in pharmacology/biochem circles, the joke is that

There's an LD50 for pretty much EVERY substance that you can ingest.  Water, salt, you name it.

So if I'm gonna go, I choose...

cheesecake!!

(potato chips/candy/etc.)

:thumbsup:

Besides, choosing something low in toxicity means that I can really ENJOY the process, and stretch things out a while.  Do you have any idea what the LD50 is for BBQ Ruffles?? ROFL!!

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

I've always wanted to start a petition at a farmer's market to see how many signatures I could get.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
TT, that is one of the better ones on DHMO that I have read.
USA

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
I'd like them to add something like "is a base carrier for all known allergens" or something like that. That way when I set up my booth for signatures I could ask if they've experienced allergic reactions to DHMO.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
... or anything that starts out with OD'ing. Though I get SL's point that our kids have open access and a closer relationship with Benadryl as a quasi-savior in comparison with peers. Most of us wouldn't question our kids walking around with multiple doses, openly carrying a full bottle or blister pack sheet.

I did lmao reading your list.

We joke in our home.  I provide my teen with mind altering drugs....benedryl, gravol, and this week codein.  I expected a hassle at the high school for my son yo be able to self carry antihistamine.  I only have him carry a single dose (two pills).  It is NOT life saving med, it's for itchy eyes.  The VP said it was fine.

I don't think my son would use them recreationally, but I don't want him carrying a lot in case someone else gets hold of them.

This is a risk I have always been aware of....I think most here are.  But, while your own child may know better best keep the stuff hidden from their friends too.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
I'd like them to add something like "is a base carrier for all known allergens" or something like that. That way when I set up my booth for signatures I could ask if they've experienced allergic reactions to DHMO.

A recently noted medical phenomenon involves small amounts of DHMO leaking or oozing from the corners of the eyes as a direct result of causes such as foreign particulate irritation, allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock, and sometimes severe chemical depression.

:)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
-- heck, even READING about the stuff can cause it. 

:rofl:

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »
Can't you see it? Crowd pleasing clown motif, half-empty fifth of JD in the back pocket. I'd prefer harlequin myself.