New MEMBER Major School Issue HELP!?!

Started by dharlow, October 31, 2013, 05:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dharlow

Hello,

I just found the forum, should have been here prior.

A little back story, my Son is 6 we found out about his peanut / Nut allergy when he was only 18 months (Pediatrician thought we should get him tested due to eczema, asthma, etc).
  We never have given him anything with Nuts/Peanuts or even processed in a facility, etc..  at 4 he had his first blood test and on peanuts he came back at <100 on a scale of 0-100

His preschool was a NUT free school and when they had treats we where notified in advance and allowed to bring in like treats for our son.

Now he is in 1st grade, new school, nice modern private school, met with administrators prior and they "Understood" our concerns and gave us glowing "Yes"s to all our questions.
  Had a issue or two with things processed on equipment that processes peanuts/tree nuts spoke to his teach who has a Peanut Allergy (Which made us feel safe) her's is not nearly as severe. She now sends home in advance... However he was in another classroom with another teacher for literature and they made something with food, he came home with it and we new nothing of it.. so we called a meeting, with the teachers, and administrators. Explained to them, this is not a skin rash, this is ANAPHLAXAS not they seemed understanding we left feeling we made our POINT

THE VERY NEXT DAY I pick my son up and on the ride home he informs me the kid next to him had a Peanut Butter and Jelly for Lunch, and the administrator was doing lunchroom duty.. I trust my son, but he's six so I contacted the other childs parent, who immediately said "OMG Yes I did, OH NO!"

I specifically talked about this and said I have no care if the school is nut free, just no nuts with my SON, so if someone is going to sit by him at lunch, if they have a PBJ they can't.. Administrator "Understood"

I feel like the ball has been dropped too many times, and I just don't understand why a Private school that total I spend a LOT of money a month for my child to attend.. does not find this as a Issue, or even take any step to keep my child safe, despite telling me "Our Business is your children"

I am attending school with my son today, as I didnt want him to miss holloween, however, I am also feeling home schooling is a serious option at this point, I don't feel there is anything this school can tell me that would make me safe, after literally 16 hours after the meeting they seem to have forgotten...

I can not find anything on if the school receives federal funds, so from my research they seem not be held under a 504
any help on that?

Macabre

Welcome! 

I wish I could say that it is the early years of elementary school that are especially difficult, but it seems all years are equal opportunity ones, sadly.

You would think that with all the money you're spending the school would be especially safe. I'm sorry you've experienced otherwise. I will sAy that I have had similar issues with public schools whe we only had an understanding. Wait--it was more than that. I had developed a 7pp document that dealt with every possible situation, principals and teachers and I met every year and they even signed it.

But it held no wright legally.

But then I learned about a plan in public schools that is legally binding--a 504 plan. If you are in the US and your private school is not religious it may be an option for you.

It doesn't mean there won't be missteps. You will encounter those sometimes I am afraid. But it idea mean the school is likely to pay more attention to the plan. And that you have recourse if there is a real pattern of missteps.

And consider public school an option in addition to home school.

What you are describing as anaphylaxis I would not describe that way--if it was limited to a hives on your child's arm. Anaphylaxis generally involves two or more body systems--so hives and vomiting or disorientation and a faucet nose. Or if anything along the GI tract starts to swell, that (as a lone symptom) is also time to take measures that you do for anaphylaxis:  epipen and ambulance.

Is your school trained to recognize signs of anaphylaxis? Do they have am annual (at least) training of the teachers?

Halloween tends to be a good fest in many schools (through a growing number of ounlic school districts are having food free policies). It's probably a good thing you are staying close by.

Again, welcome. I hope you find this a helpful place.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

Welcome dharlow!

I'm rushing off to work and am many, many years removed from elementary school, so this will be brief.   I feel your frustration.  Especially in a smaller, more nurturing environment of a private school you would certainly expect more responsiveness.

I don't know what members' experiences here have been, but IRL I've found that most folks got better cooperation at public school!  (That was the case for my LD son, but he didn't have FA's so different situation.  The public school just had better resources available for him.)  With the exception of a mid-size Catholic school near here that appears to be quite accommodating, most folks I know IRL have not been happy with the way their schools deal with FA's.  Go know.

I started to post that another meeting was in order with not only administrators and teachers, but with the school nurse as well - but I re-read your post and see you've done that already.   It must to be too early for me.  :dunce:

While there is definitely a learning curve, I agree the ball has been dropped too many times.  I don't know where you are or what the school options are in your community, but if you can't get this school to work with you it may be time to move elsewhere.  Keeping himself safe all on his own is a big burden for a 6 year old.

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

ajasfolks2

It sounds to me like you need a written health, safety and inclusion plan at the least.  If school takes no federal funds, then it cannot be called a 504.

However, there is no reason why there cannot be a written plan of action for the allergic reactions AND a plan that addresses safety and risk reduction WITH inclusion.

In my experience (private, non-religious school in deep south some years back) "meetings" that have nothing for a written understanding are not best way to go.

Surely you had to sign a contract with the private school AND they had you sign up to some sort of "Rules of Conduct", yes?

Spend some time this weekend writing a clear, thorough plan and then request a meeting with admin and staff at school and present them this solution.
The plan needs a section with REACTION RECOGNITION AND RESPONSE area, a RISK REDUCTION AND SAFETY area, and then an INCLUSION area.

Do you have written allergy action plan from you child's doctor on file with the staff?  Who is in charge of wellness of the kids at the school when there is illness or injury?  (I did not see mention of nurse . . .  did I miss it?)  Who trains on Epipen/AuviQ and can administer to allergic child?

After accomplishing the ALLERGY ACTION PLAN (for reactions), the next thing you need is clear instructions written in user-friendly format as to safety and inclusion.

It can help to lay it out in terms of responsibilities and the staff members:

Take a look at this public school guideline to see if it helps:

(I think this link still works)
http://www.lcps.org/cms/lib4/VA01000195/Centricity/Domain/63/Food_Allergies/Food_Allergies_School.pdf

Use the FARE (formerly FAAN)  "Allergy Action Plan" form for reactions (doctor needs to complete and sign).

Hope this gives you a starting point . . . you're going to have to hold the school's hands on this one and make sure EVERYTHING gets done in writing.

And if it all just won't work, then if you have option to homeschool that is something many of us have done and/or are still doing as well . . .

(we've done a combo of homeschool, private, and public)

And, welcome!!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

A few questions/points of clarification. Please correct where necessary. My tone is dry at times-nothing personal.

1. Your child was diagnosed as allergic to peanut at age 4 via blood test, a.k.a. "RAST", due to child's eczema and asthma. Child has no known history of any reaction, and has no known history of any peanut ingestion whether purposeful or accidental. You practice strict avoidance.

2. Your child attends private school. Is this an independent school (secular, receives no federal financial assistance)? Private run by a religious enitity? Have you called your state Dept of Ed to verify if school does/does not receive funding ("federal financial assistance")?

3. You wish to continue at this specific private school even if you only have the protections of Title III (secular independent school considered a public accommodation), or none as in the case of a private school run by a religious entity.
FAPE follows your child but is not necessarily applied to the private school unless there is IDEA involved. A 504 would cover only those that are recipients.

My oldest child with a history of anaphylaxis from traces of peanut (no known other nut reactions but some test positive) has attended independent secular and exempted religious schools. I am very familiar with those environments and negotiations. Clarification will help.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview