FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Medical documentation needed to develop a school health plan for allergies?  (Read 2551 times)

Description:

Offline Mookie86

My child's high school schedule recently changed, and they put him in a classroom that has rats.  He is allergic to all types of rodents, and his eyes were very itchy and swelled some.  I sent the school an email that he can't be in a classroom with rodents, and they are working on a schedule change, but in the meantime they keep trying to send him to that classroom.  He has refused to go there because he then feels lousy and can't concentrate on anything being taught, and instead he keeps going to the nurse's office and the guidance counselor.  I want to create a health plan at school that he cannot be in a classroom that has any type of rodent.  What type of documentation do I need to give the school?  Is a doctor's letter sufficient?  His allergy testing is very old. Does it need to be within a certain timeframe?  There's current history of reactions, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to do allergy testing.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
I would draft a letter you'd like the allergist to sign and then ask allergist to sign it.  In my experience, having the allergist (office) write the letter is not always as thorough or direct to the issue.  When asking the allergist to sign, always offer that the allergist may suggest necessary changes and then you negotiate and get to something the allergist will sign.

If this is child who already has 504 for LTFA and/or asthma, then this might be separate section on the 504 as it does potentially affect the ana reax situation in some cases.

Whatever I do, I would NOT give the school carte blanche to access the physician.

And the allergist's letter should not say in closing, "Please call my office with any questions" as you are not authorizing that, right?

If child has no IEP or 504 for anything else, then there would need to be at minimum an IHCP (Health Care Plan) developed to address . . . and again, that will take letter from doctor (don't need test results, can be general in detail but state specifically the animal(s) allergic to and the potential for adverse affects on patient). 

Now, doctor might wish to do new allergy testing to re-confirm the animals allergic to . . . I'd be willing to agree to that, but in meantime there must be a letter from doc and a plan at school to address the immediate situation.  I'd think if there was old positive SPT and now this new history of reactions and problems in the rodent classroom, then that would be enough for doc to sign up to accommodations and some changes, yes?

Sounds like a 2-prong approach -- what to do ASAP and then get the documentation and testing done to have something on record for longer term (likely just the rest of school year & would re do for next year).

Does that help?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

PS -- I almost missed this because it was in Main! Mind if I move to Schools?

Offline Mookie86

I didn't put it in Schools & FA because it's not FA issue, but sure I'm fine with moving it.

Offline Mookie86

Hopefully doctor's letter is enough.  If testing is required, do they need testing within a certain timeframe?  It was done in 2005.  Or, I also have a Feb. 2013 summary of an allergist appointment that states severe allergy to rodents (and mold, grasses, trees, etc.).   It doesn't talk about tests or numbers.

Very good reminder not to include in the letter that they can call the doctor if they have questions.

Thanks for your input, ajas!

Offline ajasfolks2

I don't think the school even needs to know date of testing.  It's really up to doc to decide if the testing history and current symptoms reported are enough for time being.  That 2013 summary might work.

The doc gives the professional diagnosis -- the school shouldn't be interpreting any tests or date of tests, etc.

You are welcome & I am going to move just in case others in Schools might see this -- lots of folks deal with both anaphylaxis for foods AND animal and environmental allergies . . .

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:05:54 PM by ajasfolks2 »