FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dip Recipe Help Please  (Read 5577 times)

Description: Must not contain sesame, nuts, peanut, egg

Offline PurpleCat

Dip Recipe Help Please
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
I can use garlic powder but not garlic.  No Mayo.

Need a dip for DD.  Keep trying recipes I find online, modify what I must and they are yucky! 

Because of sesame, most packaged dips are out.  Found one "Simply Organics" Ranch at Whole Foods - I called, no sesame but when I made it, it was very gross!  None of us liked it.

Anybody have one to share?  She's tired of the same salad dressing as a dip too.

twinturbo

Re: Dip Recipe Help Please
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
Is vegan guac out? What does she like in terms of flavor, texture?

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »
Yes it is out.  Anything with a pit is OAS for her.

Before her Garlic and Sesame allergies she loved Ranch, Veggie (I used the Knorr Mix), French Onion.

She did not mind the Dehydrated Veggies but did not like when I put spinach in it.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
How 'creative' may we get? I don't want to suggest anything that's essentially wows you in a bad way. lol.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
Sorry I don't have measurements, I always wing it.  Greek yogurt, must be full fat or low-fat, not fat-free.  Garlic powder to taste (since you said garlic powder is OK, I prefer the real thing but have done it with powder).  A handful of fresh dill, chopped finely.  Lemon juice and lemon zest.  Salt to taste.  Make sure it sits for a while for the flavors to blend.  It does not taste nearly as good freshly made as having sat in the fridge for at least a few hours.
USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
How 'creative' may we get? I don't want to suggest anything that's essentially wows you in a bad way. lol.

Thanks for asking, I like to play in the kitchen so be as creative as you want!  I have basic tools that include a food processor, blender, and a stick blender.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Thanks Hedgehog!   I've never tried making dip with Greek Yogurt but the kids eat yogurt so I'll have to try making it. 

Offline nameless

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »
you can make your own french onion by slicing thin some vidalia onions and carmelizing them on the stovetop with olive oil and sea salt...add in some fresh herbs --- sour cream or greek yogurt...YUMMEH!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »
What about a satay sauce subbing sunbutter in for pb and leaving out other known allergens? I think it'd be fine if you left it to sunbutter, soy sauce, chili, lime juice, a little ginger if you want that galangal/lemongrass taste. Powdered garlic if she actually likes the taste. It's good for roasted veg, chicken on a stick.

Offline nameless

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »
You  might be able to get ideas from AllRecipes searching for dip http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?qt=k&wt=dip&rt=r&origin=Home%20Page

or Foodgawker searching for dip: http://foodgawker.com/?s=dip

Subbing sour cream, buttermilk, greek yogurt for mayo usually works (and sometimes I'll just do that to not have the mayo)

Good luck!
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »
I've seen a butternut squash dip recipe recently, but had tahini.  Not sure how it would be without.  The picture was definitely thicker no runny like salad dressing.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »
We make hummus all the time without tahini.  And you can basically take any bean--favas, black beans--and come up with variations. 

We make a black bean dip that is yummers! 

As a Texan I've got to say this:  salsa. Any dip list is incomplete without it. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  First try will the the onion - so simple!  DD won't eat sunbutter, the rest of us do though.

Offline nameless

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »
have you tried any vegan mayo?  There was a one I'd get at Whole Foods --- I can't remember the brand --- but it was good/mayo like if mixed in things that one wouldn't notice too much ---- like potato salad, dips, etc. 
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 07:01:55 AM »
Do you mean Veganaise?  I use to buy that since DH is a huge mayo fan but when I tried it with DD she had a reaction!  This was years ago and the best we can guess is it was some kind of cross contamination.  My memory is a bit sketchy but they thought it might be cross contaminated oil and I forget why - something about where, how or when it was pressed.

It was a helpful product until that day.