login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lil Critters Gummy Vites- label change for tree nuts?  (Read 5340 times)

Description:

Offline nonuteen

Lil Critters Gummy Vites- label change for tree nuts?
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »
Went to  buy more Gummy Vites and noticed the label had changed and now says "contains tree nuts".  I assumed this is due to the change with coconut but called anyway before purchasing.
I was told by the rep that it is due to the coconut oil but she was very vague in identifying if there has been a formula change for other treenuts.  At the end of our conversation, she said if my daughter is allergic to treenuts (even if not coconut) she would recommend not using them.
Has anyone else gotten this response?  Not sure what other vitamins are safe out there.

twinturbo

Re: Lil Critters Gummy Vites- label change for tree nuts?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »
I use Northwest Naturals or Carlson Labs. My youngest wheat, barley, rye, oats (yes, I know  :rant:), milk, beef, egg, soy, possibly nuts & seeds too, can take Carlson Labs. I think they have really tight controls and very few added ingredients. I know NW Naturals (Gummie Vites) has no artificial ingredients but they have a lot of added ingredients. My oldest who is PA/EA also eats Gummie Vites.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
Thank you.  Where do you purchase Carlson Labs?

I'm wondering if the Gummy Vites didn't change at all they just have to cover due to coconut now being considered a tree nut so they are making a blanket statement.  Either way, if they won't give me all the info and now recommend we don't use it, well, guess I won't be!

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
You can try three ways:

1. Call around town to see who stocks it.

2. Order from a reputable online retailer. I've found this to be the best price plus you can use discount codes. Stock is always iffy and who knows where they stored it and for how long.

3. Order directly from Carlson Labs. Good stock, least likely to be contaminated, has best shelf life, most expensive.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:16:07 PM »
It's been a couple of years but this is the email I got from them at the time. We use vita fusion (same brand) so I'll email again to see if there's new info.

Fractioned coconut oil and beeswax is used to spray on the gummys to
keep them from sticking. No other nut ingredient in our products. Like
you shared, FDA has declared coconut a nut.

We are a nut free facility.

Sincerely,

Hollie Vaughan
Consumer Affairs

Hollie Vaughan
Customer Service Rep
6350 NE Campus Drive, Vancouver, WA 98661
P: (360) 816-7247   F: (360) 397-1779
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
They are also label on the bottle as containing tree nut and then in parentheses it says coconut.