login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Teen travel exchange?  (Read 8700 times)

Description:

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
Teen travel exchange?
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
I don't really know if this is feasible, but it occurs to me a lot of us are in the same boat with older, sheltered teens who have difficulty traveling.

Why don't we do an exchange among our own families? Who better to cook for a child than those who are already dealing with the allergies?

Of course, there are endless issues (comfort zones, shared allergens, introverted kids being willing to deal with strangers, etc.), but I thought it would be interesting to discuss.

I'm happy to host in Chicago if anyone has a teen interested in visiting!
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Teen travel exchange?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »
This is a GREAT idea.

:heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
I think we should have a FA MOM exchange.  LOL

But yes, great idea!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
Penny's camp is top of my wish list for DS1. I would never punish her in such a way, however.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
Peanut is pretty easy!  It's milk, egg and others I would worry about providing a safe atmosphere for. But would be happy to bleach any surface and refrain from using those allergens. 

Of course McAlester and Carlton colleges are near us. We are happy to shepherd and host any kid wanting to look at those schools.

It amazes me that so many kids with FAs don't have allergies to animals. That would be the deal breaker for DS. But he is traveling on his own very soon to meet teammates at their destination (traveling alone is safer than traveling with caregivers on a peanutty plane IMHO).

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »
I thought about that-- our house would be a horrible one for someone with animal allergies...  although... I'd also be willing to shepherd someone in a hotel-suite if that is a preferable option.   DD and I are actually quite good at going out into the world reasonably uncontaminated-- via showering and dressing FROM the dryer within minutes of leaving the house, basically and not sitting on furniture in the interim.  This seems to work quite well for our friends who have severe cat (and dog) allergies.

We live within EASY driving distance to PDX, and all of the natural wonders of western Oregon; Crater Lake, the Oregon Caves, Shakespeare Festival, Bach Festival (though you've missed Helmuth Rilling, apparently, as he's retired finally), the Oregon Coast, and both U of O and OSU, not to mention Reed College and a host of smaller, less famous institutions.  Oh, and for those who have reasonably high thresholds, there is also Burgerville.  Yes, restaurant milkshakes-- even if you have PA/TNA.  They are also quite good at accommodating egg and wheat allergy, and have no shellfish on the menu.

I want to also mention that OSF and several of the regional universities have competitive summer internships/workshop programs-- so for teens with particular gifts/interests, PLEASE-- be aware that you wouldn't necessarily have to send them alone with no local help on the ground. 

I can definitely help a teen (or family) figure out safe(er/est) dining options or local/regional brands while here-- for the top 8, at the very least.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:01:58 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »
I am in NY Metro, and would be happy to host teens here to look at colleges, or just to see the town.  Warn them though, I'm strict about curfews!  ;) :evil:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »
DH & I could tag team Oregon to a lesser extent. DS2's current situation is quite engrossing to manage hopefully that lifts a bit over the next year or two. We couldn't host unless one was willing to deal with draconian restrictions but we could probably assist like we do with a lot of cousins going to college here. I can tell you the allergist hands-down you'll love.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:08:42 PM by twinturbo »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
Yes to that.   :heart:  There's a reason that I've nicknamed him "Dr. Awesome" here on the boards for years.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure he'd fast-track a student or see someone from out of town. That's the benefit of him being his own boss. Either CM or I could shepherd a student or family there. I would rate epi supply a 10/10 here. Not so where we last came from.

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
I am in NY Metro, and would be happy to host teens here to look at colleges, or just to see the town.  Warn them though, I'm strict about curfews!  ;) :evil:

Maybe I can punish you with DS1 some day. Light on allergens, heavy on the drama. His crying may constitute auditory birth control.

Offline maeve

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »
It amazes me that so many kids with FAs don't have allergies to animals.

DD is like your DS. Animal allergies are just as bad; dog less so. However, she has horrible cat allergies (got allergic conjunctivitis simply being around a friend who has four cats). She also has pretty bad environmental allergies.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Scout

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
We are a peanut free home, we have a dog, Labradoodle.

Southern Calif...... ;D

and Ive mentioned to MCC before how close Cal Arts is..... ;D

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »
I am fully expecting him to come your way to visit schools next year Scout. I will certainly be in touch with you about that!  :yes:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

jschwab

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
We live within walking distance of Penn, Drexel and University of the Sciences. We're happy to host in-home or host out-of-home with a tour of the area - my husband works at Penn. We are allergy safe for wheat, gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, milk, shellfish. There are some random things we just don't even have in the house, including all grains. I don't have any teens but younger kids.