Panera

Started by GingerPye, November 06, 2013, 02:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

DD really wanted to eat at Panera because so many of her friends like to eat there.  We went today; she researched it some on their website beforehand, and then we asked for their allergy book when we got there.  Sat down and it took us a while to look through the book --- but she managed to come up with a few things that could make a meal.  Went to the order counter and talked with the manager.

She ended up with a turkey & lots of veggies sandwich, and she loved it. 

It made me nervous eating there since there are a lot of tree nuts and such, but the manager was really good about double-checking ingredients and making it safe for her.

so, now she has at least one safe item there that she can eat, provided she always discusses preparation with them.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Macabre

DS has one safe thing, too. He tried it on his own, talked with the manager, too. I'm not sure how if feel about it. He had a reaction after eating there when he was 3 or 4. And jmar's daughter recently had a reaction there, too, recently.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Linking this thread. I think it should be moved to Restaurants

close call
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

starlight

Are the peanut butter cookies not made in the same ovens/pans as the sandwich bread? Is the PB for the kid's pbj's and the peanut sauces kept segregated? Never even occurred to me that Panera could be an option...

GingerPye

I don't know that it really is an option!  We tried it, but like I said, I feel nervous about it.  She did fine this first time, but I don't think we'll make it a routine place to go.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

starlight

Quote from: starlight on November 06, 2013, 03:29:46 PM
Are the peanut butter cookies not made in the same ovens/pans as the sandwich bread? Is the PB for the kid's pbj's and the peanut sauces kept segregated? Never even occurred to me that Panera could be an option...

I just reread this and realized it can be read two different ways. I meant it as actual questions followed by a fact, not me trying to come down on anyone for their own choices or as a "you should've known better". Sorry if I offended anyone. And I would like to know, because if those questions could be answered with a yes, I have a high enough tolerance that this could open up an option for me...

GingerPye

didn't offend me ....

I'm still not sure Panera will be a good option for us, but when Dd and friends go there, at least she's been through the process once and hopefully can get something safe there.  Both of my kids seem to have a higher threshold than some FA kids, despite their high RAST numbers.  But that could be proved wrong at any time, I know.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

lakeswimr

Too many sesame seeds floating around that place.  Before we knew better DS ate some of their bread I think and was OK but that was sheer luck, I think. 

joshsmom

Ds used to eat the French baguette before sesame diagnosis.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview