DS's Almond Challenge at Mt. Sinai

Started by GoingNuts, December 16, 2013, 07:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

WooHOOO!!!  Yay for the pass!!!  Yum, almonds!  How very exciting.....  :happydance:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

LinksEtc

Quote from: GoingNuts on December 16, 2013, 06:05:39 PM
Now the challenge will be to find non-Xcontaminated almonds.  Blue Diamond are now on shared equipment with every darned tree nut known to mankind.  I really don't want to have to buy raw ones, wash them, roast them, etc. 

Congrats!

Maybe something like this would work for the almonds?
http://www.barneybutter.com

GoingNuts

Links, that's what they use for The challenge. And it comes in chocolate, too!  ;D

I'm going to bake Cookies with it on Wednesday.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Mookie86

:happydance: on passing, and I'm glad you found ones that he can eat.

:thumbsup:

Macabre

Wonderful also makes pistachios. We buy both the almonds and pistachios.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Just read your link. Oh wow. Okay we need to put this IMHO in the Pn free tn thread. So cool!!!

GN you can get them right?  super Target sells them.

I cried the first time I bought almonds in a store.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

SilverLining

GoingNuts

OK, I have a few minutes to expand on yesterday's visit.

They divided the dose into 4 servings, waiting 10-15 minutes between  doses, with each dose getting progressively larger.  He had a total of about 2 Tbsps. of Barney Almond Butter.  He had no symptoms at all, but if he had, the RN was stationed right outside the door, with Dr. Nowak nearby.  She came in between doses to check his breathing, etc.

With this pass, Dr. Nowak instructed him to be sure to eat some at least 2X a week for the first 6 months (more if he doesn't get tired of it!) to be sure that his immune system is really tolerating it.  I have instructed him not to eat it unless his father or I are home for at least the first few weeks, just to be sure, and not to exercise afterwards.

He is due to come back in the spring, and I know DS would rather find someone locally (and one that isn't exclusively pediatric, given that he is turning 20 in a few weeks), but as long as they are willing to see him I'd rather continue because I like the way they do challenges there.  He may also be able to do a chick pea challenge, which he was initially "meh" on, but I think he's starting to see the value of adding chick peas to his diet.

Alas, the allergen he would really like to get rid of is sesame, and that has shown no signs of abating whatsoever.  :tongue:

So that's the story.  We're pretty happy.  I can't stop thinking about the baking implications.  For one, I could have actual "mandel" (almond in Yiddish) in my mandel bread! 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

CMdeux

That sounds like more or less the standard protocol that our allergist (a Sinai product) also follows for challenges.

He starts with the vehicle, and then adds allergen slowly.  How slowly depends on patient history, evidently.

I'm just SO thrilled for you guys, GN!   :D

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

It's really the freedom from another allergen rather than the food but it's nice when you can have the traditions. Dr. Nowak certainly seems like the doctor to have. I'm sheepishly considering moving from Sicherer to her. I'm not sure you can change within a practice though.

PurpleCat

Jmarc

that is wonderful news!!!! YAY!!! your allergist sounds like ours!! we were there for a total of 6 hrs and got up to two tablespoons of peanut butter!!

and our allergist said to keep the epi pens for another year just incase..and then if no issues after a year we do not have to renew them..yay!!

booandbrimom

Wow - congrats! That's wonderful news. Almonds are such a fun thing to be able to use.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview