FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Christmas Candy  (Read 6872 times)

Description:

Offline anxious

Christmas Candy
« on: December 17, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
Has anyone bought the Hershey's Santa chocolates? They don't have any warnings. I also saw Dove chocolates as well without a nut warning. Any one bought these before? Dealing with PA/TNA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Christmas Candy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
We've been having far too many Hershey's peppermint bark kisses. 

I also found a ribbon candy that was safe several years ago I've not called yet, but DS opened it and had a piece. I will call on it and post.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
Found Blueberry Hill jelly wreaths and spice drops-- label reads safe for pn/tn and wheat, but shared facility for egg and soy.

Made in Mexico.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:30 AM »
I'd love to know about the ribbon candy.  I just looked at some the other day thinking that my sister and I have fond memories of it since my mother always had a dish sitting out on Christmas.  My kids have never had it.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »
OMG!  CM!  Spice drops???  I wish I could find those here.  I could barter with you for a bag or two of those.  Don't even care if it is for Christmas. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
Oh, sorry, the spice drops got me distracted.  Yes, we use those chocolate santas every year.  I have 4 right now.  1 for each stocking in the family. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
The brand is Sevigny. I haven't had the chance to call them this year.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »
Wow!!! Great news.  I filed out the contact form for the Sevigny Thin Ribbon Candy

I skated about the:
--use of peanuts and of treenuts on the equipment
--use of peanuts and of treenuts in the factory, even if the equipment is dedicated.

I mentioned food allergies.

They responded:

We have no peanuts or tree nuts in the plant at all, so the ribbon candy is completely safe. You didn't ask, but since they are common allergens I will say that the ribbon candy is also soy and dairy free. There are some food colorings which may utilize a gluten-containing grain or by-product in the manufacturing process. The amount of gluten would be small in the food coloring, which in turn is a very small amount in our candy. So, except for the tiny amount of by-product that may be in a food coloring, the ribbon candy would be considered gluten-free.

Happy Holidays!

<edited>

====================
FB Washburn Candy Corp.
137 Perkins Avenue
PO Box 3277
Brockton, MA  02304
tel. 508-588-0820

I replied:

You are amazing. I will post this to the online allergy community I belong to. Most of our kids have never had ribbon candy.

You are going to make some very happy kids!

Thank you so much.

Offline bleh

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
Has anyone bought the Hershey's Santa chocolates? They don't have any warnings. I also saw Dove chocolates as well without a nut warning. Any one bought these before? Dealing with PA/TNA

Dove is safe if it doesn't have a warning. They stated a while back that they now have a nut free facility.

http://www.dovechocolate.com/aboutDove/AllergenFreeFacilities
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
About Sevigny, http://www.ribboncandyman.com

See the allergy statement there.

Allergen and Nutritional Information
Allergens
The products made here at F.B. Washburn in Brockton, MA do not contain the following allergens: milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, or soy.

While none of the candies made here contain gluten - our candy is made from sugar - we cannot say we are gluten-free unless every ingredient is certified gluten-free. There are some food colorings which may utilize a gluten-containing grain or by-product in the manufacturing process. The amount of gluten would be small in the food coloring, which in turn is a very small amount in our candy, but you need to know it is there. We do not use barley malt, rye, or any grain-based flavoring, so none of the natural or artificial flavors contain gluten.

Some candy mixes may have one or two pieces which are not made here, and the allergen statements can be found on the packaging or you can check the nutritional statements listed below.
The nutritional information sheets require a PDF reader - you can download Adobe Acrobat Reader here.

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »

Dove is safe if it doesn't have a warning. They stated a while back that they now have a nut free facility.

http://www.dovechocolate.com/aboutDove/AllergenFreeFacilities

We've bought several packages of the chocolate santas this year (and many years previously). I've also bought the snap apart santa this year. 

With Dove, it depends on what flavor you're buying. The milk chocolate and caramel are safe. The white chocolate (with soft center) and peppermint bark flavors are not safe.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Jessica

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
Thanks for the info about the ribbon candy. Is it available at any stores that you know of or something to mail order?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 05:30:53 AM »
I have seen it around, every year.  Stop & Shop always has it.  I have seen it at drug stores as well, and I think at Target in past years (have not been around as much this year).
USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »
I saw that brand of ribbon candy recently at walmart.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »
They have a list on their website.  I didn't have time to go back and find it.