Corn Chex and Vitamin E

Started by Nick32, December 20, 2013, 01:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick32

Hey guys, I'm new to the site.  I discovered I had a gluten intolerance in 97' and in 01' I learned soy causes the majority of my migraines.  I came across an old thread here where a member said they called General Mills to see where they source their Vitamin E.  They said it was derived from Corn.  I hadn't had any luck getting that info from them.  Every time I had asked they always hesitated and asked if there was a specific ingredient I was curious about.  I noticed that they recently changed the ingredients on the Corn Chex and among the changes was the addition of Vitamin E.  I tend to get headaches from their Rice based Chex cereals with Vitamin E as an ingredient.  Does anyone have any information on whether they still source it from Corn? 

rebekahc

My family prefers Crispix cereal over Chex (though for most things I prefer General Mills over Kelloggs, we make an exception for Crispix).  Here's a link to the ingredients http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-crispix-cereal.html No added Vit. E and, as an added bonus, no BHT like Chex has.

ETA:  I just checked the Corn Chex ingredients and see no Vit. E? http://www.generalmills.com/ColorBoxImage.aspx?ImageId={F0F816F4-C110-4FD6-8A0D-DEBBAA98F8D9}&Width=800&Height=290
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

twinturbo

Confirming on my box of Corn Chex that Vit E is not listed an ingredient but mine does list BHT as a preservative separate from ingredients. Since I have Rice, Vanilla and Chocolate Chex to compare the labels the Corn Chex label for BHT reads after the ingredients while the others list it inside the ingredients. Never noticed that before.

Nick32

Thanks for the replies.  There are still a lot of boxes out there with the old formula.  I'll post a pic of the new ingredients.

Nick32

I checked the ingredients of the Crispix and in the allergens information it does say the Corn used does contain traces of soybeans which is what I'm trying to avoid.  Also, is Crispix gluten free? 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview