allegra dosage

Started by gufyduck, December 22, 2013, 11:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gufyduck

Does anyone know if you can take more than 1 allegra?  I've been told by an allergist to take multiple zyrtec for hives (not for food reactions), and recently switched. Care to guess what started less than 24 hrs after the first dose?

starlight

Well, I can tell you I've taken benedryl with allegra and been ok. Pretty sure I've also accidentally took allegra twice in one morning and was ok. Not recommending, just saying I don't think it'll kill you if you do...

CMdeux

I've doubled up zyrtec-- in fact, I do that routinely a lot of the year (20mg), I've doubled 180mg allegra with 10mg zyrtec,  have doubled zyrtec, allegra, and claritin (well, once, anyway-- no ill effects that I noticed), have definitely done as much as 30mg diphenhydramine on top of double zyrtec dosing, and I'm almost 100% confident that I've done 360mg allegra for a a day or two at a time, probably WITH benadryl.

Fwiw, this is not advice, but know that the dosing window on most of the selective, non-sedating antihistamines?  VERY wide-- at least 10x standard therapeutic dose. 

Heck, even first gens are wider than a lot of OTC drugs, often as much as 5x without a problem, but they are CNS depressants.    This is a problem with some medical conditions, however-- so it's a good idea to run it past a pharmacist if you have asthma or other cardiovascular conditions.  Or anything else that is chronic, truthfully.   :heart:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

gufyduck

Thanks everyone.  I did call the pharmacy and was told by the pharmacist that he has seen Allegra prescribed up to 360 mg daily, but not much more than that.  He also told he has seen the dose bumped up much more often with Zyrtec or Claritin and much higher.  I was honestly surprised he even divulged that much info, given it is talking about going over the label.  Good to know for future reference. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview