login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: bar soaps safe for pa and tna?  (Read 4716 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

bar soaps safe for pa and tna?
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »
Now that Dove has their new pistachio soap (complete with pistachio extract) we are planning to switch. I'm not even sure I want to use the bars we have left that we bought a couple months ago. What bar soap does everyone use?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
Re: bar soaps safe for pa and tna?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »
UGHHH!  I use the pomegranate/lemon Dove bar.. this makes me so mad!!!
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline starlight

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »
Did you call to see what the manufacturing process is like re: cross contamination?

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:21:59 PM »
Pistachio is a weird one to put in soap. To answer he uses Suave, Olay, some Bath & Body Works, Neutrogeona Rainbath which I'm sure I did not spell correctly. The Costco green tea & pear one. He loves that.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »
I use anything without overt nut ingredients. I'm both contact (PA/TNA) and airborne (PA only) reactive, but for some reason I haven't really had any trouble with soaps and other body products (except tea tree oil - OMG that's awful stuff!).
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

The J Team

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »
I saw that too and wondered why the need to put pistachios in soap??!  I bought Olay instead as I didn't see they had any obvious nut type soaps.  I thought about calling on cross contamination but just didn't have the time.

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
The extract might have photo-protective capabilities in regards to UV-B, so that might be a reason to add it but the most likely reason is its emollient quality.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23313777
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline starlight

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 10:50:29 AM »
I just posted on their FB page, they seem to be pretty responsive there. We'll see if we get an answer. I asked about shared lines.

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
Here's info from a link their automated CSR produced in response to my query:

Unilever follows the guidelines of the US Food & Drug Administration and uses the International Nomenclature for Cosmetic Ingredients. As seen on product labels, Unilever does not use any peanut ingredients in its Personal Care products. Some products do contain tree nut derivatives as shown on the labels. Examples include almond, coconut, kukui, macadamia, pistachio and shea nut variants in certain products.

There are no allergenic proteins present in the highly refined nut oils and nut extracts used by Unilever.

Unilever manufacturing facilities follow rigorous cleaning procedures in preparing our products. This is necessary not only for product integrity but also for hygiene purposes. The high level of quality found in Unilever products is assured by our adherence to Good Manufacturing Practices [as stated in the CTFA Quality Assurance Guidelines (2007), ISO GMP Guidelines (2007) and FDA Draft Cosmetic GMPs (2013)]. However, there can be no absolute assurance that all products are free of all possible allergens. If you have any concerns, please consult with your physician and avoid products which could be a problem – there are many variants available to meet consumer needs.

I called and got the same information as is in what I posted in the above quote.  The CSR was very nice. I let her know that we would no longer be purchasing the products because I did not have the information on whether it was made on the same line. I said that it would be helpful to have that info and that in the absence of having that info that I would have to assume it's on a shared line and would have to stop purchasing the product. I asked if that information could be bubbled up to corporate. The CSR took my contact info and said she would share the info. Before hanging up, I let her know that I knew of others on my online allergy support group who would also not be purchasing Dove products because of the nut issue--that it was not just me but a whole community out there.

This is problematic for us because we were basically down to the sensitive skin bar because of eczema and other skin sensitivities.  That said, they've also had a bar with shea in it for a while. So we may continue with the sensitive skin bar because our only other alternative is hard to find and rather expensive (Canus goats milk bars).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline starlight

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
I think I got the same response as above:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our Dove Purely Pamering Pistachio Cream Bar. Unilever follows the guidelines of the US Food & Drug Administration and uses the International Nomenclature for Cosmetic Ingredients. As seen on product labels, Unilever does not use any peanut ingredients in its Personal Care products. Some products do contain tree nut derivatives as shown on the labels. Examples include almond, coconut, kukui, macadamia, pistachio and shea nut variants in certain products. There are no allergenic proteins present in the highly refined nut oils and nut extracts used by Unilever.

Unilever manufacturing facilities follow rigorous cleaning procedures in preparing our products. This is necessary not only for product integrity but also for hygiene purposes. The high level of quality found in Unilever products is assured by our adherence to Good Manufacturing Practices. However, there can be no absolute assurance that all products are free of all possible allergens. If you have any concerns, please consult with your physician and avoid products which could be a problem – there are many variants available to meet consumer needs.
We hope this information helps and thanks again for taking the time to contact us.
For more information about our Privacy Policy, please click here.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Dove

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »
My friends at Dove.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
:-/
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline sneaker

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »
Not happy about this as my ds uses one of their products, and why does nuts have to be added to everything!  Just frustration.

To answer the OP question, my dd uses Cetaphil gentle cleansing Antibacterial Bar for dry sensitive skin Non-comedogenic