FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Nori sheets and rice vinegar for sushi making - need them safe for pa and tna.  (Read 7820 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
No-- country of origin.  Can't think of the name at the moment.  Let me see if I have a package.

The noodle brand is Hakubaku and the parent company is Kokumotsu.

I have not called on them-- but they do seem to have quite good allergen labeling, noting shared lines and facilities on packaging, (even for buckwheat and wheat).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Jessica

awesome-thanks. :)
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

Is this seasoned rice vinegar the same as rice wine vinegar? I just saw a couple of recipes I'd like to try that both call for rice wine vinegar. Or is there a substitute that is both easy to find and safe?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Aji Mirin isn't quite the same thing as "rice wine vinegar" because it is seasoned/salted.

Unfortunately, many recipes call for the latter and MEAN the former.  You just kind of have to look at what else is in them-- if there are no other seasonings, then it might mean Aji Mirin.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

There's rice vinegar, sushi seasoned rice vinegar, rice wine, then we've got our seasoned rice wine that really isn't seasoned rice wine.

Mirin isn't sake, it's sweeter and lower alcohol content. Cooking sake is similar to drinking sake in alcohol content but it's high salt content to be sold as a seasoning/condiment rather than its beverage counterpart. Aji mrin has very little sake content, it has a lot of sugar, some salt and some vinegar, it's the commercial bottled stuff in most mom's kitchen (the 'fake' mirin). Hon mirin is the real stuff if you need for 'cuisine' it's a true brewed naturally sweeter alcohol from fermented rice.

Su is rice vinegar. Sushisu is rice vinegar sweetened with sugar and salted. No alcohol content unless you're drinkin' separately. Get your shochu on. Yee-haw.

http://www.kikkoman.com/foodforum/thejapanesetable/28.shtml

Offline Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

The English translations don't work that's why.

Kikkoman
Rice Vinegar (not seasoned sushi, just plain)
Aji-mirin (don't worry about the 'real' hon mirin)

No one who puts up pictures of chopsticks sticking up in a bowl of rice is worried about hon mirin. just get the Kikkoman plain rice vinegar and aji mirin.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
{snicker}

Western U.S.

Offline Jessica

etiquette.  :P

So anyway I'll look for those. If I can't find them locally I'll see if I can find them online. My son is not interested in the sushi for the moment so we haven't even tried that yet.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

Ever think you should have listened when your mom was trying to teach you? I am thinking that now...  ;D
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

I'm sure CMdeux or I can help with that and Guittard while we're at it. I can mail it on Monday. Shoot me a list if that time frame works for you. I suspect one of the locally owned Korean grocery store is zainichi-owned. They tend to have the huge packs of Yama Moto Yama nori packs for Japanese domestic market (like Costco sized in resealable bag). I can throw in some Choco Pie or Calpis if you're fiending for it. They only have Korean brand daifuku, I think.

Guittard is really everywhere here. I might have to track down the bars again but it's chips galore for cheap.

Offline Jessica

Now that I have my ingredients-do I just use the seasoned rice vinegar plus rice? Do I need to add sugar and/or salt to the rice vinegar (it shows that it's in the ingredients but the recipes I'm finding are adding more-IF it's the same product which I think it is).
 Is there a certain ratio? It doesn't say on the bottle. Why doesn't marukan have a recipe for this on their website?

this is one recipe I found. http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2007/06/nishiki_rice.html
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

Yes, it's the seasoned one. You add about 1/4 cup per something like 6 cups cooked rice adjusting for taste. Do it while the rice is really hot, keep turning it with the paddle and fan it to cool and wick away the extra moisture from the added vinegar. It'll get a little shiny. You can wait until it cools down to warm to work with it.

Offline Jessica

awesome-thanks! I called my mom to ask and no surprise, she said I need to use the powdered kind instead and she will send it to me. ugh. I told her not to send it, I already have this kind. She just does not get it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

:hiding: I prefer the powdered Tamanoi sushinoko as well but it's not as straightforward on ingredients. You can do either it's the same stuff same effect. Vinegar, sugar, salt. Goin' down the same hatch. lol.