FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: San Diego  (Read 9441 times)

Description: with TN/PN/sesame allergies

Offline spacecanada

San Diego
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:14:16 PM »
We're headed to San Diego for a short holiday and wonder if there are many safe restaurant options for us.  I have severe TN/PN allergies and we're vegan by choice and aren't super picky about that because allergy-free is infinitely more important (i.e, if the veggie burger has dairy and egg in it but it's TN/PN-free, I'll eat it!).  My Mum is allergic to sesame and omnivore.  We're not picky otherwise. 

We're planning on going to the zoo or the zoo safari.  Any options there?  If not, will they let us bring in our own snacks?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: San Diego
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:38:22 AM »
You are in Canada, right?  Later I can look for restaurants in San Diego to list some I would eat at (we choose places my PA vegetarian son and I who have a sesame allergy).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Raquel

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »
We go to San Diego quite a bit with peanut/tree nut. Islands restaurant is quite helpful. The zoo/zoo park will let you bring in for allergies. La Salsa is also good with allergies. If you are in the LA area, go to both Veggie Grill which is vegan and good with allergies (only has walnut) and Sensitive Sweets (safe bakery). Hope that helps a little.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »
You are in Canada, right?  Later I can look for restaurants in San Diego to list some I would eat at (we choose places my PA vegetarian son and I who have a sesame allergy).
Yes, we are from Canada.  We typically travel to America to visit friends or Disney, so we aren't too familiar with what safe options exist in America.  We're fans of Divvies cookies, which we order and have delivered to our hotel before our stay, as shipping costs to nowhere-land in Canada are prohibitive.  :) 

Also, what are some common supermarket names in San Diego?  We will have access to a kitchen for most of our stay except one day - at the zoo, mostly, but we could bring in sandwiches if we knew ahead of time which brands of bread would be safe.  Or, I guess I could try to bring bread on the plane… I've never tried that one.  I've been in trouble with US Customs before because they deemed that I was travelling with an unreasonable amount of food, none of which were restricted items.  I don't want to starve, what can I say?  (Thankfully, my MedicAlert bracelet saved the day with that particular Customs agent. He wanted a doctor's note saying that I needed to travel with so much food due to a medical condition.  I didn't have one, but showing him my bracelet, eight EpiPens, and other essential medical supplies seemed to end his argument.  I was in tears by that point, as he threatened to cut up my passport and NEXUS card - for having too much food!)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
I'm so sorry I didn't respond before now.  Got busy and didn't check back. 

We typically stay away from Asian food with our allergies of course, but PF Chang has good corporate policies. They'll get a new wok and they have very particular allergy policies--even wiping down the table with a disposable and new towel and cleanser.  Your ticket has your allergies on it.  We've eaten at a PF Chang twice. Another time we tried, but that manager hadn't really gotten the corporate memo. DS did fine as a vegetarian--but look for vegan options. 

P.F. Chang's China Bistro
3.5 star rating 295 reviews
$$  Chinese, Asian Fusion, Gluten-Free
Linda Vista
7077 Friars Rd
San Diego, CA 92108
Phone number (619) 260-8484

We've done fine at On the Border (Mexican).  Again, look at the menu.  I would think the risk of cross contact with dairy at a Mexican restaurant might be high, but you can call in advance and chat with teh manager.  We do miss this place.

On the Border
3.0 star rating 181 reviews
$$  Mexican
Mission Valley
1770 Camino De La Reina
San Diego, CA 92108
Phone number (619) 209-3700

Red Robin has thorough allergy menus and a veggie burger DS enjoys.  I eat something without a bun.  But we consider this a place we can go to as a family.  I am not sure if DS' veggie burger is vegan. I don't think there would be a lot for you here, but I do mention it because they have a specific allergy menu for our Top 8 and also gluten (though I have no idea how restaurants really can do gluten free if they have a lot of buns and such).

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers
3.5 star rating 261 reviews
$$  Burgers, American (Traditional)
University City
4373 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92122
Phone number (858) 450-0343

We eat at Buca di Beppo.  I had a reaction after the last time because of the roasted veggies on their 1892 salad (which is wonderful--we get it without meat).  It's family style. 

Buca di Beppo
3.5 star rating 302 reviews
$$  Italian
Gaslamp
705 6th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone number (619) 233-7272

We get this without the meat.  I'm guessing they can make it without the feta. It is super wonderful.
 1893 Salad  di Beppo
pepperoni, salami, provolone, feta, mixed greens, roma tomato wedges, red onion, cucumbers, red and yellow roasted peppers, pepperoncini peppers, kalamata and green olives in our signature Italian vinaigrette

If you see a Qdoba, it's an inexpensive build-your-own-burrito place. Their beans are vegetarian. I get the bowl or a small taco.  I think I see that they are closed in San Diego. They will change gloves upon request.

Chipotle, like Qdoba, has one vegetarian bean and one that is not.  DS and I do great there, but I would not eat there if we were dairy allergic as I think there is a greater likelihood of some cheese dropping in other containers (they make stuff on a line in front of you, so you could see what the situation is). They happily change gloves on request (DS always requests this, and I go after him, and I just don't order until his is done, holding upo the line a bit, but I do ensure that if I get meat, his meal isn't cross contaminated with it. There are lots of Chipotles in San Diego.   Very affordable.  They also have guac and chips you can eat. DS eats the chips.  I don't know about dairy in them.

If you see a Moe's Southwest Grill, they actually have tofu for their burritos.  :)  Same other concerns about XC.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:13:18 PM by Macabre »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »
Grocery Stores:

Trader Joe's
1211 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109
TJs has some allergy friendly stuff, inexpensive and good wine, good produce.  There is a lot of stuff that isn't allergy friendly, but there is enough to do fine with.  You will generally find vegan/vegetarian-friendly people there (tends to be more crunchy place). I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one.

Target
5680 Balboa Ave, San Diego, CA 92111
Look for "SuperTarget" grocery stores. They have a sizable grocery store tacked onto a Target store.  You would find most of what you need here.  The produce is okay.  Not fab.  But they have enough.  And they have other htings you can use during your stay.  There are likely other ones.

Whole Foods Market
711 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
They speak vegan here.  :)  It's a very crunchy place.  They have a lot of CYA warnings these days.  I see them on cheese and such, so you may be fine.  Great produce.  There may be more than one of these.

Albertson's 
I'm guessing you'll see these. Regular grocery stores (I grew up with them and had them in Dallas, too).

The Sunbutter at Trader Joe's is the same as Sunbutter brand. 

Buying Bread--US doesn't have to label for sesame period.  I trust Pepperidge Farm, because they do label for shared lines with sesame.  Not all PF breads are safe, but many are. 

Crackers--Carr's Water Crackers label for a shared facility. We eat gobs and gobs of these with no problem.  We eat regular Triscuits (though I just had a reaction to a brown rice Triscuit--what may have been a reaction).  Regular Wheat Thins have been fine.

I've got to pick up Ds.  I'll post more later.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:15:09 PM by Macabre »

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »
I had not weighed in because I don't deal with sesame, and am clueless about what is safe.  But I do want to comment on one of Mac's recommendations.  P.F. Chang's is excellent with allergies in general, although I am sure that may vary by location (we have been to several, all of them excellent in that regard).  My mother is vegan, and we occasionally go there with her.  There are choices, but they are limited.  There are some that seem like they would be vegan but are not, so be sure to ask.
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:45:44 AM »
Well, how we eat at restaurants is there is quite often only one or two things I can eat. Period. And I just plan on that. It is what it is.

I couldn't see a Maggiano's Little Italy there, but I was hoping to. The company policy is if you indicate you have a food allergy, the chef comes to your table--usually sits down, lol. we've eaten there in Houston, Dallas, Richmond, VIrginia, and Orlando. Great experience.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
We had good luck for a quick meal at Rubio's. 

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »
Excellent suggestions, THANK YOU!!   :happydance:

We'll probably do most of our shopping in Palm Springs when we arrive (direct flights on an allergy-awesome airline - yay!) but I'll keep an eye out for the stores and restaurants you mentioned.  I've never heard of any of them except Target, as we just got a Target here last summer.

Like Macabre, at the restaurants we (rarely) go to here, there's usually only one, maybe two, items on a menu that I CAN eat, so I'm never fussy as long as it is safe (and meat-free).  Thankfully, cross-contamination with dairy is OK for me, but we still avoid it when we can because there's no point of being miserable/uncomfortable, especially on vacation.

I'll be printing out this list in a week or so to give to my parents before they leave, so add any other suggestions if you can think of them.  We don't leave for a few more weeks. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
I saw many, many listings for Rubio's.  That's good to know Hezz.

Okay--other crackers I buy:  I trust Keebler's labeling. 

Tortillas: I do fine with Mission and several other varieties. (Tumaro's is processed on the same lines as sesame)

Pretzels:  Rold Gold only.  Many Utz chips are safe, but their pretzels are not.  Also--don't buy Snyder's of Hanover. 

Chips:  Lays brands are fine.  Tostitos. :)  They label for shared equipment for our top 8.  Do NOT buy Good Eatin blue tortillas. The have a sesame variety.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
I saw many, many listings for Rubio's.  That's good to know Hezz.

My kids are sad that there are no Rubio's in the Monterey area.

Offline nameless

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »
In-N-Out burger should be safe for you!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »
With sesame?  Also do they have a veggie burger (that is vegan)?

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 03:33:30 PM »
spacecanada, we should swap notes about things to do in San Diego because I'm heading there and Los Angeles for spring break.  Also, I'm glad to read that I'm not the only vegetarian at FAS!