FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: San Diego  (Read 9550 times)

Description: with TN/PN/sesame allergies

hk

Re: San Diego
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
With sesame?  Also do they have a veggie burger (that is vegan)?

They are safe for sesame.  They bake their own buns.  No veggie burger, but you can get a grilled cheese.  FYI - the 'special sauce' contains eggs for those who are dealing with that.

Hezzier - are you flying into SF?  They have Rubios there.

hk

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »
spacecanada, we should swap notes about things to do in San Diego because I'm heading there and Los Angeles for spring break.  Also, I'm glad to read that I'm not the only vegetarian at FAS!

I'm vegetarian too.

Let me give you a suggestion for LA.  Mulberry Street Pizza on South Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills.  Total cheap dive with great pizza.  No nuts, eggs or sesame on the premises.

More on LA and San Diego later.

Offline nameless

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »

they bake the rolls in house, no sesame :)

I think the only vegetarian thing at In N Out are the fries.  (they cut potatoes with this gizmo and they go right in the fryer)

Other than that, burger toppings. I think the chili is meat based.

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline nameless

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »

They are safe for sesame.  They bake their own buns.  No veggie burger, but you can get a grilled cheese.  FYI - the 'special sauce' contains eggs for those who are dealing with that.

Hezzier - are you flying into SF?  They have Rubios there.

They do a grilled cheese, but it's on the same grill as the burgers. My veg-friend in Tucson wouldn't get one.

She'd ask for an un-grilled bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, with fries and special sauce --- as a sandwich!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
I think we'll skip In-N-Out, but I'll let my parents know it's PN/sesame safe in case they see one.

We love Mexican food but I'm looking at the allergy list for Rubio's and my gut is telling me to skip it.  Everything has milk listed as an allergen, probably because they add cheese and/or sour cream, but it's a bit unsettling.  No mention of sesame either.  Are they safe for sesame allergy?

We've dined at Chipotle on a previous trip to LA!  They have an allergy statement on their website that says they are PN/TN/egg/sesame-free and have allergen lists for each individual ingredient, which is awesome.  I think we'll go there if there's one near by.  I didn't realise it was a major food chain.   :)

Thanks again everyone.  It's tricky travelling in another country because everything the locals are used to is completely foreign to you.  Except Walmart... there's always a Walmart somewhere...

On that note, does Walmart USA (Great Value brand) have pretty good labelling practices: shared facility warnings and such?  We trust their labels up here, but I know each country is different, even with the same brand.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
There are a LOT of Chipotles listed in San Diego. My only concern would be cheese falling into something, but you should be able to see.  Do ask them to change gloves--all down the line. And also to out an extra wrapper on the surface to protect against cross contact.

I would probably only pick things that have tongs--that aren't grabbed by a hand.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »
I don't know about WM labeling. YKW likes it I think. I don't know about sesame there.

I will say that sesame is rarely my concern when eating Mexican.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions everyone!  We ate at Chipotle in Palm Springs and a local Mexican place in Borrego Springs.  One day I wasn't feeling so well (caught a bad cold) and didn't want to have to make decisions about food, so we ate at Chipotle again in San Diego.  The food was really good and the staff were knowledgeable about ingredients and allergies. 

My parents are still on the look out for an In n Out burger place on their drive back to Canada.  We didn't find any on our trip - but we didn't look too hard either because Chipotle restaurants were everywhere it seems. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum