login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Need new ways to get ds to eat veggies  (Read 4306 times)

Description: creative ways to make veggies yummier?

Offline yelloww

Need new ways to get ds to eat veggies
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »
Ok, need  dairy, and egg free ways to make veggies more interesting for ds. (Bonus points if it is GF for dh!)

He's been heavy into meat and starches lately and he's gained like 20lbs since June, but he's only grown a couple of inches. I'm not too worried about the weight, but he doesn't eat a lot of veggies and we need to change that. Fruits are a no-go. He can only eat a few. He doesn't really like salads. He loves asparagus and brussel sprouts. He's ok with cauliflour and broc, but they are boring go-to veggies.

I saw this and ds would love it, but how do you make it so that it is dairy free? Has anyone tried this before?

http://divadicucina.com/2012/11/11/recipe-buffalo-cauliflower-bites/

That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Snack type things that can be veggie based instead of starch based. Or interesting veggie side dishes so that I'm not arguing with ds to eat salads.  ~)

Ideas? Thanks!

twinturbo

Re: Need new ways to get ds to eat veggies
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »
I take it he for sure won't eat it nakedy with just salt and garlic sauteed. I remember not liking veg a lot until adulthood. I don't juice because I have trouble with raw stuff but I'd think the smoothie route would be palatable. If fiber is a problem you could add soluble fiber assuming the juice process removes the fiber.

The only other method I'm trying with younger child is disguising it in meats, "breads" and the like. He's anaphylactic to wheat. Kebabs? Oyster sauce? Stir fry where it's hard to pick out the veg from the meat? DS2 picks out the veg in his fried noodle, admittedly.

re: cauliflower would he eat it curried? or homemade veggie chips? mine don't but others do. My PA EA child does regularly eat OreIda sweet potato fries though. That's some low hanging fruit for vit A and fiber. They are also labeled gluten free. We fry them because he's super skinny but they can be baked as well.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:41:39 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
Can you make a "cream" sauce with any dairy substitute?

I've got lots of recipes--just don't know what might be adaptable.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
I was thinking avocado or coconut milk (cream).

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »
I think that your DS's fruit and veggie restrictions are pretty similar to mine.  I can't eat many raw fruits (and the ones I can tend to be expensive, like fresh pineapple) and most raw veggies are out as well.  I don't really do salads either, the only leafy green that doesn't make my mouth itchy when raw is spinach.

At our house, we go through a TON of the steam in the bag frozen veggies.  I know that some of the flavored varieties have milk in them, but most of them do not.  Dsd is not much of a fan of most plain veggies, but as long as I season them pretty heavily, she likes them.  We have steamed veggies with almost all of our meals - I throw a bag or box in the microwave and when they are done hit them with a little bit of olive oil and some spices and/or herbs.  I have a huge spice collection, and I try to season them to go along with what we are eating.  I almost always add garlic and onion powder and black pepper, but also will add italian seasonings if we are having pasta, cumin, cayenne, cilantro when we have Mexican, and so on.

We all really, really like steamed green beans with olive oil, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese - maybe you could use nutritional yeast instead of the Parm?

I will throw an extra bag of steamed veggies into almost anything I make.  Soup gets an extra bag of mixed veggies in.  Pasta sauce gets broccoli, carrots, or a mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots chopped finely.  Casseroles get a bag of whatever seems like it would go well thrown in.

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
I think the recipe you posted should be adaptable to non-dairy.  You could sub any batter that works for you or use a milk substitute with a little lemon juice added in place of the buttermilk in the batter recipe given.  The butter in the sauce could be melted non-dairy marg. or even olive oil.

I live spinach chips.  Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and mist with non-stick spray, place a single layer of fresh baby spinach leaves (I break off any bigger stems), mist with the non-stick spray, sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 5-10 minutes until crispy.  I usually make several batches at once and load one cookie sheet while the other is in the oven.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
Arroz con pollo - I add three times the amount of veggie matter  (peppers, tomatoes, celery, carrots).

Forks Over Knives was an interesting experiment for us - many dishes were GF, vegan and obviously veggie based.  It was how my kids came to truly appreciate veggies.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
Right now I am roasting cauliflower tossed with olive oil, curry powder(and Indian brand blend called Kitchen King), and some salt, lemon rind and garlic powder.  about 40 mins until desired tenderness.  400 degrees.  Flavor any way you like, and roast culiflower. 

There is a lot of flour in that recipe you linked, making it pretty starchy anyway.  Maybe try it with just an oil or dairly free fat, and the hot sauce?  Maybe a little gluten free baking mix instead of the flour, but should not need 1/2 cup. 

Do you have a dairy free sub for parmesean or grated Romano cheeses?  I also do the cauli with olive oil and parm. sprinkled on it. 

Then, I will roast, with olive oil and salt and papper, just about any veggies.  Green beans come out really well, broccoli, sweet potato(but starchy), and those are good with roasted carrots.  Zucchini roasts well.  I want to try fennel, but have not done that yet. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »
Roasted carrots and parsnips (you could call then white carrots the first time, lol). Toss in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and then roast. Very sweet.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 07:22:01 PM »
I've got three great Brussels sprouts recipes. Two involve dairy, but it may be possible to make substitutions.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
Roast brussels sprouts and carrots with oil and herbs and add sauteed browned capers.

Zucchini sauted in olive oil and herbs with chopped tomatoes and black olives added in.

Saute chopped red onion and a rainbow of peppers with a safe "margarine" and add frozen corn and fresh parsley and black pepper.  (i often add cooked chopped carrots)

Steam cauliflower florets with chicken stock; put it in a greased baking dish, brushed with safe melted margarine and covered with a mixture of 1/2c breadcrumbs; 2 tbs fake grated cheese; 1/8 tsp garlic powder; 1/8 tsp salt; pinch red pepper flakes and pinch of oregano - bake about 15 min in 375 oven until golden brown.

Green beans and red peppers taste good with a warmed balsamic dressing.

Steam cauliflower and add chopped tomatoes and cheese....melt and serve.

There's a yummy Wegmans recipe online for a roasted butternut squash and to it you add spinach and dried cranberries.  I know you will find it if you google.  I tried it in the fall and the kids really liked it.

I pretty much roast any kind of vegetable with any combo of herbs.  Olive oil is not good at high heat so I use canola oil if the veggies will cook above 375.

Sliced zucchini or eggplant and a "fake cheese" makes a wonderful no pasta lasagna.  I don't peel either and I do not bread.  Just layer with "cheese" and sauce and fake cheese shredds.  I make my own sauce and I use shredded carrot to cut the acid in my sauce instead of sugar, etc...  So that has carrot.  Add chopped spinach and it's chock full of good veggies.

My tofu lasagna instead of ricotta cheese recipe uses 1lb firm tofu mashed; 1/2 cup of fake grated cheese - the one I buy I don't have right now, veggie? - green shaker can; 2 tbs fresh chopped parsley; 1 tbs low sodium soy sauce; 1/4 tsp black pepper.  Mix all this together and to it add 1 med onion chopped with 1/2lb of sliced mushrooms that have been sauteed together.  You could add garlic too, my DD is allergic so that is not in my home.  My DH will eat this even though he can eat cheese.

My kids eat "rainbow" swiss chard (they tolerate kale, but like this better) cooked with sauteed red onion and chicken stock.  If I have it I'll crumble bacon in and it's got a yummy flavor.

Oh and I just tried and the kids LOVED this "sauce" that does not have to go over pasta.....I've done different things with it and I've even just done the tomatoes (no meat) and mixed with roasted potatoes or mushrooms and another time shrimp - the kids think the tomatoes are the greatest this way.  Put a rainbow of cherry tomatoes on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 15 minutes until lightly browned.  Saute 9 oz of any lean ground "meat" - I've used turkey, sausage, beef...depending on the flavor I want with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper.  Add 1/4 c cooking sherry, & cook for a minute.  Add tomatoes and 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes.  Tomatoes will release their liquid and sauce will slightly thicken.  Add fresh basil.

Slice small zucchinis in half, brush with olive oil top with sliced tomatoes and fake cheese and bake 375 for about 20 - 30 minutes.  Be creative with this one, lots of combos!

And then there are many many stir frys and soups!

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
How about soup?  Butternut squash makes a wonderful creamy soup.  Or you can just add veggies to whatever broth-based soup your family likes.  And with the weather most if te country has had lately, soup really hits the spot.
USA

Offline yelloww

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
Ds loves soup. I worry about the sodium intake, but I'm not sure it is logical!

Ds doesn't like tomatoes generally,  think it is an OAS food for him. I can't eat bell peppers of any kind.

The ideas are great though! I'm going to try some of them for next week!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
Oh, make your own butternut squash and carrot soup. Roast, blend. You can add some curry. I buy frozen cubed butternut squash, too.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »
Right, I was thinking homemade.  You can control the sodium that way, and you really need very little. 
USA