Mock Pecan Pie

Started by Macabre, December 25, 2013, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

hedgehog

Quote...having a faux pecan pie for those with nut allergies is a much greater purpose.
:heart:
USA

CMdeux

So....

egg allergy around here.

Do you think that this would/could work with flax gel/cornstarch/tapioca flour?

Man, would I ever LOVE to try this.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hezzier

I'm thinking cornstarch like in an eggless pumpkin pie.  I've used the flax substitute in cookies and I don't think I want the nuttiness flavor.

I should look up the recipe for my mom's pecan pie and see how it differs from this one.

hezzier

Wondering if I should just do my mom's recipe and sub in pretzels
So here's my mother's pecan pie recipe...it was really good

1 C brown sugar
1 C dark karo syrup
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBS flour
1 TBS milk
1 C chopped pecans (would sub crushed pretzels)
unbaked store bought pie crust

Mix ingredients by hand, put into unbaked pie crust.  Bake at 450 for 5 min, then 350 for 40 min, cover crust after 15-20 mins to prevent burning.

Jessica

I think I might try this for new year's eve. I don't normally do a lot of cooking for that day but it sounds like a good excuse. lol

I'm going to try Hezzier's mom's recipe (but with light corn syrup-I don't have dark and don't want to buy it just for this) and sub in pretzels. I don't have a deep pie pan.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Jessica

I made it but I used the karo syrup recipe for the filling using light corn syrup and brown sugar. I did not mix in the pretzels and should have. They floated on the top of the pie and didn't sink down at all. DH and I did like it though, even though my pa/tna decided it "wasn't her favorite but at least we tried it" as if I'll never make it again just because she didn't like it.  ~)
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hezzier

I used my mom's recipe and then coated the crushed pretzels like the mock recipe called for.  It was ok, I don't think I'll make it again, but it was worth trying.  DS said it was ok, not sure if he'd ever ask for it to be made.

hedgehog

I found it way too sweet.  Of course, pecan pie was never my favorite for that reason.  I just had forgotten until I tasted it.  But DS loves it, so I might make it again.
USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview