FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Need new ways to get ds to eat veggies  (Read 4292 times)

Description: creative ways to make veggies yummier?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Need new ways to get ds to eat veggies
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
Oh, yes, on the soup bandwagon here. 

I sautee turkey sausage, then sautee onion, carrot, celery. and add water/stock(you can use low sodium or no sodium, as the sausage will add flavor and salt to the soup).  Then, you can add whatevr veggies you want.  I often add a can or two of tomatoes, bot you do not have to, and then add cabbage or Kale.  Sometimes more like minnestrone with cabbage, green beans, zuchini, you can add kidney or white beans for a more hearty soup.  Sky is th elimit, but ehe sausage gives it a nice flavor base and some protein.  making some today, if I have time.  Got kale for it. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

twinturbo

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
That sounds good. A crock pot may be in order.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
Soup ingredient ideas:

When I steam or boil veggies, squash and potatoes - I save the water.  I have a big container in the freezer I just keep adding to - it looks so pretty.  It only has salt in it if I added any when I was cooking - which is usually only the potatoes.

When I cut broccoli or cauliflower and won't be using the stems or leaves, I chop them and keep them uncooked in the ziplock bag in the freeze I keep adding to.

When it's time for soup, I have veggie stock and a start of chopped vegetables!

Leeks are great in soup and I have chopped and frozen the extra as well as fresh herbs.  I keep those in containers in my freezer so I can add what I want and how much I want.

I don't suggest this with mushrooms......yuck!  bad experiment!  I personally don't like carrot water....it makes my soup too sweet so that I don't save, but that is me.