imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 index - Advanced Level Topics  (Read 9179 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

504 index - Advanced Level Topics
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
TT, would you be interested in covering this subject?  Law, court cases, etc.?

If not, that's totally fine.

If you're interested, you can add to this thread and/or create other "504 index" threads for complicated subjects.

twinturbo

Re: 504 index - Advanced Level Topics
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
In terms of having one area to collect the subjects, I agree having a single thread to reference is a smart idea. I don't know if I personally amount to much in the way of leading the charge but certainly I think there's some unexplored area to cover such as the incredible enforcement power of NCLB (No Child Left Behind) as it pervades and affects standardized public education including special education in the IDEA and civil rights regulations such as Section 504. How recently really the IDEA and ADA/504 have come in place to protect students with disabilities and what their histories are.

I'm also interested in looking beyond at mediation, due process, case processing. Actually there is one worthy exploration in the P&A/CAP network within NDRN. That's Protection and Advocacy (P&A) System and Client Assistance Program (CAP) in National Disability Rights Network, a congressionally mandated (known) federally funded (need to verify but almost assuredly) program for legal assistance and advocacy.

Would any of that fit in to you what you were thinking? I could see some of that morphing into a Google doc later with the ability for others to edit and factcheck. Rough drafting here maybe? These things always evolve over time, with more eyes, etc.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
It would be up to you what topics (I wouldn't be involved).  You could take it in any direction that you think would be beneficial to the board.

When I originally started these threads, I began collecting some advanced stuff here:
504 index - Further exploring 504 law and court cases

I always see you diving deep into 504 law stuff.  I'm not really interested in this advanced 504 stuff.  I can throw threads together to keep them in one place (so they are a little more organized), but I don't have the passion in this area to take it to the next level.

Others could always post ideas in the suggestions thread, but I was thinking that this might be your cup of tea (or whatever you drink).

It's up to you.  Ponder it for a while.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
and another thing if you, or somebody else, eventually takes advanced topics further ....

this is pretty obvious, but I figured I'd mention it ...

regular (non index) threads on topics can be started in schools when larger conversation would be a good thing .... then links to those conversations can be placed into an index thread.

-------------------

The index threads are really about taking our board knowledge and organizing it & making it more understandable for others & seeing links/connections that were not obvious before & for the advanced stuff, maybe seeing new possibilities in terms of advocacy and how things could be.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
Sure. At first I was thinking Google docs would work better for shared editing because forums are old mediums. It'll need some thought, and I myself am considering a 'variety of sources' to remain more multi-dimensional.

Why not at this point I've been spending enough time 'discussing' with special education attorneys and law professors and AG's office and partridges in pear trees. I really would like to take a crack at NCLB, a.k.a., the boogeyman of school administrators.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »
And so the torch is passed  ;D

I had a feeling you would say yes.

--------------

I'll keep adding to the other index threads (& planning to create some more as needed) ...

You're in charge of your index threads & I'm going to keep working on mine.

The only thing I would suggest is that any index threads you do create, use the
"504 index -" prefix to distinguish those threads from "normal" threads.

If I find info you might be interested in while I'm working on my threads, I'll just stick links in
504 index - Further exploring 504 law and court cases
... of course, you don't have to use the info, but it will be there in case something is of interest to you.

:coolbeans:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:07:37 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
Oh, and for me (you may be different), when I'm doing this kind of thing with threads ....

I almost approach it with a hybrid of spiderweb & computer programming mentality ...

Everything is connected & and some subjects are "top level" & some are like "subtopics" that can be called or referred to from other threads.

I don't know if I'm making sense to you, but I figured that I would mention it.

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »
I'm not sure I understood anything you wrote but you seem to be a good handler for me so I have faith in that. What I know for sure is I can't seem to stop myself from challenging lawyers or pestering public employees so might as well see if anything useful can be squeezed from it.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
I'm not sure I understood anything you wrote

LOL ... never mind  ;D

you seem to be a good handler for me so I have faith in that.

not handler ... partner.

What I know for sure is I can't seem to stop myself from challenging lawyers or pestering public employees so might as well see if anything useful can be squeezed from it.

:yes:

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 12:42:01 PM »
Oh, and for me (you may be different), when I'm doing this kind of thing with threads ....

I almost approach it with a hybrid of spiderweb & computer programming mentality ...

Everything is connected & and some subjects are "top level" & some are like "subtopics" that can be called or referred to from other threads.

I don't know if I'm making sense to you, but I figured that I would mention it.

I'm a big fan of open source. What's the best approach for community contribution towards editing within that scheme? In forums, I mean. Wikis and cloud docs with edit permissions have built in mechanisms.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:43:48 PM »
I'm a big fan of open source. What's the best approach for community contribution towards editing within that scheme? In forums, I mean. Wikis and cloud docs with edit permissions have built in mechanisms.

Maybe the (admins/committee members) could give you some input?

For myself, I'm happy with just using threads for now  :hiding:  ... but the board can do what it wants with my index threads after I'm done with them.  I mentioned when I started them (a long time ago  :hiding:) that board leaders can edit, add, delete, not keep them under the Links name ... whatever, I trust the board leadership  :heart:.  Paying back a little for all the help I received here over the years  :heart:

twinturbo

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
This whole bus BS is really lighting a flame under my keister. Now that I've finally worked through that crapstorm of "reasonable" wrt to DOE and federal courts it might be time to find a new target. That Congressional mandated disability advocacy could be a good first start. I've been reading this one dude's book and he's the director of his state's NDRN. Wright is good, wily, but the law center director is more experienced suing the state, writing amicus briefs.

You know when I'm not being a DIY speech therapist, early childhood teacher, allergist and short order cook studying math and law in my spare time while pumping iron. Maybe I'll just not sleep or something.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
TT, don't burn yourself out.  :heart:

This stuff is a marathon, not a sprint.

twinturbo

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
Blame my artificially cultivated prey drive. I thrive at full tilt.

On a more useful note I'm thinking the right approach is SEAs where the most central pressure point is on FAPE wrt transportation. LEAs seem to become entrenched in their personal fiefdom of policies. Federal DOT is a bust since it's got a HUGE exemption right in the regs.

Note to myself to add "policy" to that list, as well as dissection of board of education and round #2 on due process and hearings.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:23:13 PM by twinturbo »

twinturbo

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »
Emailed this to myself for later reading. Placing another here. Haven't vetted source yet could be hot air. Could be insightful.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2013/07/12/in-secret-school-board-weighs-not-cooperating-with-federal-agency

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/media/reports/1373503567.pdf Oh, OK. Something labeled confidential client communication somehow is posted to the interweb. Of course.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/square/index.php?i=3&d=1&t=21307

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/media/reports/1361599043.pdf Reading, trying to unravel entire timeline of events. Can't vouch for veracity in sourcing.

http://pausd.org/community/PublicRecordsRequest/downloads/OCR-Resolution-agreements.pdf

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/print/story/2013/03/08/guest-opinion THIS will require a nice hot cuppa.  :coffee:

Further note to self to start digging in to NCLB to add that SD boogeyman to the arsenal. Nice contingency to build a web of pressure points if one set of regulations has a weak spot. NCLB seems to have teeth, big and sharp.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:01:09 PM by twinturbo »