FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Coffee places using almond milk  (Read 2914 times)

Description:

hk

Coffee places using almond milk
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
I have been meaning to post for a few weeks that Peet's Coffee has started offering almond milk in their drinks.  Then this morning I saw a notice that Dunkin Donuts is doing the same thing in a test market.  Feel free to move this post, but I thought it was worth drawing attention to.  I just happened to notice the very small sign at Peet's and could easily have missed it.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Coffee places using almond milk
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Yeah-- most coffeehouses out here (west coast, PNW) offer almond and/or soy milks in beverages, and a few offer other treenut milks (like cashew).

This is something that my DD will need to be VERY aware of as she goes through college.  Even "plain coffee" won't be safe if it's handed to her by a barista that just mixed up a cashew latte.   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline sneaker

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
hk, Thanks for posting this warning about coffee places.

CMdeux, Thanks for the additional warning info.

I did read this when first posted, been meaning to post sooner.
I did tell my son and whole family too, as my son sometimes has drinks with milk at coffee places.

I especially dislike Dunkin Donuts attitude with the allergen disclaimer notices they have posted everywhere.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »
I don't frequent coffee places so sorry if my question is off....but is it obvious to the employees which milk/cream they are pouring....or is it out of something like a soda type machine and a button they press puts the milk/cream in the coffee.

This would make me nervous if DD was a coffee drinker....she has asked, but for now is quite happy with her gift from Santa - Hot Chocolate from Vermont Nut Free!

hk

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
I don't frequent coffee places so sorry if my question is off....but is it obvious to the employees which milk/cream they are pouring....or is it out of something like a soda type machine and a button they press puts the milk/cream in the coffee.

This would make me nervous if DD was a coffee drinker....she has asked, but for now is quite happy with her gift from Santa - Hot Chocolate from Vermont Nut Free!

There is a huge risk for cross contamination if you get a latte or cappuccino at a place that also uses nut milk.  They make the foam with the same equipment.  Just ordering a regular coffee and adding your own milk/creamer is less risky (in my opinion).

I'm just bummed because dd loved getting cappuccino at Peet's.  We go there at least once a day.

Offline raybright

• New
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »
Oh that's interesting. I might avoid those places, could easily lead to some kind of contamination.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »
Depending upon your sensitivity, and the wash method used, it's potentially a risk when using one of their non-disposable mugs/cups, too-- unfortunately.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hk

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
Depending upon your sensitivity, and the wash method used, it's potentially a risk when using one of their non-disposable mugs/cups, too-- unfortunately.

Definitely.  DD gets disposable cups and drip coffee only now.