Is this as dangerous as I think?

Started by DysonsMom, January 18, 2014, 09:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelloww

Pb is considered a spread and you can't carry it onto a plane. You can pack a jar in your checked bags though. Not open on a plane, nor sandwiches. They will toss it at tsa security.

I know this from experience with sunbutter.  ~)

hezzier

Quote from: yelloww on January 19, 2014, 12:02:42 AM
Pb is considered a spread and you can't carry it onto a plane. You can pack a jar in your checked bags though. Not open on a plane, nor sandwiches. They will toss it at tsa security.

I know this from experience with sunbutter.  ~)

Yellow- can you clarify the bold?  Are you saying you weren't allowed to take sandwiches on the plane?

yelloww

Not sandwiches w spread on them that I made from the sunbutter. But turkey sandwiches are fine go figure. This happened years ago. And no half opened sunbutter in carry ons either...

hezzier

I understand no go on the jar of sunbutter, interesting about the sandwiches...we always travel sunbutter sandwiches and have never had any issues.

hedgehog

My guess is that you got an @$$hole security agent.  I can understand the jar, but the sandwiches should definitely be allowed.
USA

CMdeux

That is one reason why we carried documentation from our allergist re: the need for specialized food to be carried with us.  If push came to shove, no WAY was I going to let a security agent throw away all of DD's safe food at the outset of a 24 hour airport adventure. KWIM?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

:o omg arguing the form of spread. why on earth did that never occur to me.  :smooch:

OP is going on a cruise. Considering where OP is located it's probably just driving to the ship to board.

DysonsMom

Yes, we are driving down. There are a few perks to Florida living!
But we travel at least once a year, and sometimes that involves flying. Plus, the boarding policies on ships can be pretty strict. So thanks for the airline tip.
After doing a little research, I found that the ship will allow foods for special needs, if it is prepackaged and unopened. So, I will take a ton of that sort of stuff, along with a note from the doctor.
On a humorous note, I took a hamburger and fries for him to his church dinner tonight. One of the youth directors pointed out the irony of "healthy" food for him being a burger and fries, as opposed to the mystery meal of the evening!

Macabre

So for daycare meals on the ship, You might consider avoiding nutty things.  PB sandwiches and granola bars terrify the parent of a peanut allergic child. It would be a kindness. :heart:

As far as dining out--my shellfish allergy poses far more problems to me than DS' peanut allergy does to him. I am typically the one who makes eating out moe challenging for my fam. :-/
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

DysonsMom

Don't worry--I don't plan on letting him eat in the daycare at all. :-)
And I can see what you mean about dining out. He is 4 and his allergy means no burger and fries if shrimp is on the menu. No fried chicken. No chicken nuggets. No grilled chicken. I just do not trust the kitchen staff not to cc. And now that I know that things like bullion and broth can have warnings...It seems like deserts and breads are fine, but entrees pose a problem.
At his age, I can just take a Happy Meal with us and he will be thrilled, but it will be a bit more difficult when he gets older. (By the way, I hate to give him Happy Meals. There is a certain irony that they are the healthier option for him.)  ~)

CMdeux

Pop Tarts-- it's what's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner??

:thumbsup:

I get SO sick of sweets when I travel.  Seriously.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Linden

Quote from: CMdeux on January 20, 2014, 11:47:13 AM
Pop Tarts-- it's what's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner??

:thumbsup:

I get SO sick of sweets when I travel.  Seriously.

Yup.  And Fritos.  Last cross-county flight DS ate Fritos and Pop Tarts and a few EJL bars.  He was quite the happy pre-schooler.  But he was hungry by the end and ended up eating dinner at 3:00 a.m. when we got back. 
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview