FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Question--WWYD  (Read 6332 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Question--WWYD
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »
I wasn't sure why you put that there, but hey, I was going with it ... it is a good subtopic.

There's no need for the fish  :)  :smooch:

----

Lakeswimr,

I hope everything works out for you & DS at school.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »
Thank you!  I think it will but it stinks that I even have to worry at all about this.  Normally they are very good so I'm surprised by recent things.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »
It's a great reminder, though, about why seeking eligibility early is such a good idea-- you just never know when one of the players will go off the rails on you and get a wild hair or three about what "isn't working" or "can't be done" (anymore).

I'm glad that you're not in the position of SEEKING a new eligibility here.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
Bumping for the 504 index.

How much weight does letter from allergist hold in 504 planning?

Honestly, I'd rescind any permission for them to talk DIRECTLY to your physician.

The reason is that YOU need to have a seat at the table any time your physician is involved.  S/He's not the SCHOOL's physician-- s/he's your child's physician.

Schools have an unfortunate tendency to cut parents out of the loop once they have access to the doctor, and they often agree (between the two of them) to things that PARENTS, being experts in daily tactical management, would KNOW cannot work.  Oh, sure, they may be fine in "theory" but we as parents know when we've got a child that can't really be relied upon to, say... resist food trading.  Or to speak up assertively when not feeling well.  Some kids can handle some situations better than others.  Most of the time, allergists don't have a great handle on a child's relative sensitivity, either-- unless parents have told them about reactions, that is.  What is fine for one PA child (eating M&M's and bakery cupcakes) might be really, really dangerous for another child, even though both are patients of the same allergist.  KWIM?

That is why parents ARE experts who must have a place at the table when a plan is being discussed.

Secondarily, who is compensating the physician for his/her TIME in all this phone and fax and e-mail time with the school, hmmm?  Is it the school?  You?  Not cool-- s/he's YOUR physician, and needs to be acting in his/her PATIENT's best interests. 

Honestly, I'd rescind the permission.  I'd just explain that you have privacy concerns re: turning over that kind of access, and you are also concerned about the possibility of "confusion" during a reaction-- you DO NOT want the school to be calling your physician during a reaction.  Say it with a smile, and make it clear that you are HAPPY for them to have access to your physician-- but that ALL access needs to be in writing and go through you.