FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hydrolyzed Soy Protein?  (Read 4920 times)

Description:

Rose

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein?
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »
Okay, a little background first. I've been lactose intolerant for a few years now, but it was always sort of mild so I mostly just ignored it. I ate aged cheese mostly, and completely avoided milk. Lately, I've been trying to crack down on it though.

About two years ago I tried soy milk for the first time and it made me really ill. I had huge stomach cramps, much, much more painful then straight cow milk ever gave me, and diarrhea. I thought it maybe was just a bad batch of soy milk, but my boyfriend drank the rest just fine. I didn't even drink it by it's self, I used it in cereal (that I did finish without any stomach problems). To be completely honest, I am not even sure if I'm allergic to soy. I haven't seen a doctor about it yet. (hey, i'm just a waitress, i can't afford it...)

Since then, I've tried to avoid soy. The only thing I didn't avoid was Soy Sauce, because I know it doesn't effect me in any way, and products that contain soy lecithin because a lot of products I've used for years have it and nothing's happened.
About a year ago, I was headed to work and I didn't eat anything all day, so I stopped by a gas station and picked up a protein bar without looking at the ingredients. Very soon after eating it, I started feeling very dizzy and light headed, my throat was itchy, and it was kind of hard to breathe. I looked at the wrapper and, of course, it had a ton of various soy things.

So, my question. What the heck is Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, and based on the two reactions I've had to heavily soy-based reactions, do you think I should avoid it? I can't recall reading it in an ingredients list before, and I can't find anything with google, for some reason.

twinturbo

Re: Hydrolyzed Soy Protein?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:05:49 PM »
Oh, I think you're going to need the whole allergy thing here sorry to say. Sounds textbook reaction to me. First one-two punch is read every label every time avoid soy protein (keep soy lecithin, high heat processed soy oil, and soy sauce if you still tolerate it), and at least see your primary immediately to get an EpiPen or other epinephrine autoinjector. Learn how to use it within a personalized EAP (emergency action plan).

How are you with peanut and beans (legumes like soy)? I'd hate to guess this is soy or only soy if it's something else or more than one allergen. You will need to get a referral to an allergist that can be a wait.

Offline krasota

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
It's exactly what it sounds like.  ;)

Anyhow, you've had reactions to soy protein (unless it was something else).  You need to see an allergist ASAP.  In the meanwhile, your GP can prescribe epi-pens, but you need to be very wary right now.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline jenavy21

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:02:58 AM »
My first reaction to food was sushi.  Of course it had soy and sesame....  tested positive for both by blood test.  Craved peanut butter for a week and then reacted.  As far as I know I am soy, sesame, and peanut.  Allergist told me those three are fairly common together.  Even though sesame is in it's own category and doesn't necessarily contaminate other seeds it cross reacts with soy and peanut fairly easily.  At least that is how she explained it.....  I have found things with soy oil I feel really bad after but that is it.  Something with high amounts of soy or soy protein, soy flour  I am very sick!!!   Good luck to you!!  I am just starting to figure this whole journey out.  Especially with increased reactions and not knowing what my severe trigger is if that makes sense....