Trip to Niagara Falls, Toronto and maybe Montreal

Started by MaryM, January 06, 2014, 01:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

DH and I are thinking about taking the kids to Canada during their Spring Break, mid April.  We are thinking about going to Niagara Falls, Toronto and perhaps Montreal. We deal with pa/TNA (me) and milk/egg for the kids.  Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.  We will be driving.

Macabre

We have a thread. I can't find it now but if you search SL mentioned a great restaurant.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

We found eating in both places very easy, though we deal with different allergens. 

In Montreal, there is a kosher deli that has the most outrageous "smoked meat", which is kind of a cross between pastrami and corned beef.  Since it's kosher, there's no worry of dairy X-contam there.  I'll try to remember the name of the place.

In general, there's a much higher level of awareness of FA's in Canada.  :yes: 

Hope you have fun!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

Your kids are milk, egg, and nuts if I remember correctly.

Guardian Angel cakes could be a nice treat. I think they are owned by a parent company that makes other FA friendly foods.

http://www.hypodelices.com/index-eng.html

yelloww

The smoked meat places in Montreal are Swartz's and Ben's. Two different locations, two different owners. Both yummy.

Au Pied de Cochon is awesome too. Small space. Super casual wood fired oven. Again, lots of meat.

We went to Montreal four winters in a row and have eaten in all of the best places there. I can come up with others but they are heavy on the cream sauces.

Contemplating Montreal and Ottawa with ds this spring, so the same allergies for us. Some of it will be difficult because dh can't have wheat. We are considering an extended stay with a kitchen.

What's there to do in Ottawa anyway? We could do Quebec City instead but again we have the dairy and egg thing going on there. It may be easier to go to Ottawa instead if the foods there aren't as French. (I  :heart: French food and actually had better French food in Montreal than I did in some Paris restaurants! Definitely worth eating your way through the city.) 

MaryM

Thanks again.  I am getting nervous about feeding the kids on this trip.  Hopefully we will find some restaurants where I will feel ok.  Yellow, do you have the names of any other places your DS ate?  Now we may venture to Quebec City too...

I know we will have fun and be safe but it's bad when the stressful vacation dreams start about 3 months prior to the trip.

nameless

For me traveling...(and I travel a lot)...if you can find a grocery store (which you most certainly can in those areas) --- you will always be able to find them something to eat :) 

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

yelloww

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview