FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Special K "Moments"  (Read 3102 times)

Description:

Offline nameless

Special K "Moments"
« on: February 03, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
Label reads ok, not sure anyone's comfort zone on Kellogg's (they are labeled Made in Mexico).  Though it looks like on their website they put a 'may contain' if it's a shared line (regardless of cleaning procedures).

They look yummy - on sale for 2/$5 and I had a 75c coupon (that got doubled). So I thought I'd try them.

Caramel pretzel and then a chocolate coconut.

"What does it mean if a product is labeled, "May contain traces of (peanut or tree nuts)"?
Products that are labeled "may contain" indicate that the product is produced on a line that shares equipment with another product that does contain peanuts or tree nuts. At Kellogg, equipment is thoroughly cleaned between processes, and we follow approved standardized manufacturing practices in all facilities."
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline nameless

Re: Special K "Moments"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:31:14 PM »
...and they are the definition of a "Moment"

Like...1 bite (well, 2 if you aren't like me).

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline maeve

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:38 AM »
DD has had the caramel pretzel variety without problems; she's allergic to peanut and tree nuts.  If you have a Costco membership, check out Costco. The one near me has bags of 28 of the caramel pretzel variety for a good price.

Personally, I like the chocolate coconut best. DD and DH do not like coconut, so I get these all to myself. I'm doing WW, and these are a nice 2 point treat.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:46:37 AM by maeve »
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline bleh

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »
DD has had the caramet peanut variety without problems; she's allergic to peanut and tree nuts.  If you have a Costco membership, check out Costco. The one near me has bags of 28 of the caramel peanut variety for a good price.

Personally, I like the chocolate coconut best. DD and DH do not like coconut, so I get these all to myself. I'm doing WW, and these are a nice 2 point treat.
Fyi you said peanut instead of pretzel. I had to read it a few times to figure out how that worked out if she was allergic to peanuts!
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
FWIW, DS had a reaction to Special K bars made in Mexico that had no warning.  The Great Value look-alike bars do have a warning, so I suspect that Kelloggs doesn't label adequately.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »
DD has had the caramet peanut variety without problems; she's allergic to peanut and tree nuts.  If you have a Costco membership, check out Costco. The one near me has bags of 28 of the caramel peanut variety for a good price.

Fyi you said peanut instead of pretzel. I had to read it a few times to figure out how that worked out if she was allergic to peanuts!

Thanks.  I clearly had peanut on the brain.  I've fixed it.

USA-Virginia

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »
I've never given DD the Special K bars but have given her the Special K granola cereal without problem. She's also had the Special K "chips" without a problem.

USA-Virginia

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »
My PA/TNA dd eats Special K bars all the time but we have not bought the Moments.

Doesn't Kellogs label as "may contain" even if on shared lines?  I usually trust their labeling thinking this is the case...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »

My PA/TNA dd eats Special K bars all the time but we have not bought the Moments.

Doesn't Kellogs label as "may contain" even if on shared lines?  I usually trust their labeling thinking this is the case...

We used to, but then had an experience very similar to Rebekah's.

FWIW, DS had a reaction to Special K bars made in Mexico that had no warning.  The Great Value look-alike bars do have a warning, so I suspect that Kelloggs doesn't label adequately.

Things that we DO NOT trust from Kellogg's include breakfast cereals and special K bars. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.