login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Newbie with sulfite sensitivity  (Read 2960 times)

Description:

Offline leesieleesie

Newbie with sulfite sensitivity
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »
I developed a sulfite sensitivity after a course of sulfa antiobiotics this fall. After a few trips to the ER and the doctor, I am still trying to figure it all out. Hope to get info from other sufferers here and maybe share some tips and knowledge.

twinturbo

Re: Newbie with sulfite sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
We can't help if you're insistence is due to similarities in names you believe the two to be related. Like sounding items are not by necessity related.

Offline leesieleesie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
I posted below, but again: I didn't join to be corrected about the why, just wanted to share information with fellow sulfite-sensitivity sufferers.  I realize now this isn't the forum for that, so off I go.

I wish those of you suffering from sulfite-sensitivity or any food allergies or sensitivities the best of luck in conquering your condition.

Thanks.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
Likewise an unwillingness to listen to peers in a community of people with allergic disease with life threatening consequences isn't exactly what a support group is about. Not only do we not want one single more person to suffer we surely want to prevent death, and the margin of error on this side of reality is slim. One need only visit the "In memory" thread to get a sense of how deadly.

For what it's worth instead of being upset that what you thought were related are not and leaving because that perceptual bias is challenged, I think you should remain open minded on causes and treatments because we have people here who have anaphylactoid reactions to sulfites and others who have reactions to sulfa drugs. Together, as a community, we can pull together the best known practices to help you manage the reactions and how to avoid the substances.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:15:08 PM by twinturbo »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
I posted below, but again: I didn't join to be corrected about the why, just wanted to share information with fellow sulfite-sensitivity sufferers.  I realize now this isn't the forum for that, so off I go.

I wish those of you suffering from sulfite-sensitivity or any food allergies or sensitivities the best of luck in conquering your condition.

Thanks.

Okay-- but most of us here ARE glad to be corrected when our information is not accurate.  Yours isn't.   That kind of misconception is likely to have consequences as you try to communicate your needs to others, if only because it signals "fake" or "imaginary" allergy to those individuals that know enough to know that you're wrong about the why/how/what.

We're also not about conquering our conditions, so much as living with them through avoidance and learning how to live as fully as possible anyway.  ??  I'm hoping that if you have life-threatening responses to sulfites or anything else that you aren't planning on using alternative medical therapy to "cure" them.  Most of that doesn't work, and some of it can be dangerous.

Best wishes to you, as well.  :)  I do hope that you will stick around and do some reading-- I think you'll find it helpful to you. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.