FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: EMERGENCY. Need help NOW  (Read 33389 times)

Description:

twinturbo

Re: EMERGENCY. Need help NOW
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 06:31:18 PM »
Popped in for one more posting. Checked WAO World Allergy Organization for a member allergist in Cuba.

I have no idea where that medical center is or if he'll see her or will prescribe any sort of epinephrine device but worth a try if near Havana.

Alexander Diaz Rodriguez, MD
Allergist, Professor of Immunology
Jose M Segui Medical Center
Havana, Cuba

Second address has different city

Alexander Diaz Rodriguez, MD, Medical Center: José Manuel Seguí, Artemisa, Cuba

This one is a reach but it has direct contact information

Cuban Society of Immunology

Alergia

Presidente: Dr. Alexis Labrada
                   BIOCEN
          E-mail:labrada@biocen.cu

Secretario: Lic. Mayte Mateus
                  BIOCEN
        E-mail:mayteemm@biocen.cu

Tesorero: Lic. Arelys Más
                BIOCEN
      E-mail:arelys@biocen.cu

http://www.sci.sld.cu/documentos/alergia.xls
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:02:28 PM by twinturbo »

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
Tried again to call DD.  still out.  But I spoke to one of the chaperones.  They had already decided DD is not be be alone.  She is to be with someone at all times.  She also said they have told her they don't want her going to the  beach tomorrow, which is where most if the group had wanted to go (tomorrow is a free day for them).  She said there are students ho are willing to stay behind with her.  Also that one of the two chaperones will stay behind as well.  They are looking into the flight options for tomorrow.  I don't want to make tat decision without talking to DD.  but I would feel so much better if she got home tomorrow morning.  And she would not fly alone.  One chaperone would go with her, the other would stay with the group.  That is also a relief. 

DD is supposed to check in when she is back from dinner, and she will have her call me then. 

Thank goodness she had that epipen with her to begin with.  I wish she had brought the other one as well, but considering she was prescribed it a week before going, and she had NKA, I feel lucky tat she even had the rx, never mind that she brought it even though she never thought she would need it.
USA

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »
Hugs. 

I wish I could be more help. :( 

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
I have no ideas or suggestions other then what is already mentioned.  Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and her tonight. :heart:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:31:53 PM by TabiCat »
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

hk

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »
DD just called from Cuba.  She had an anaphylactic reaction, cause unknown.  She had one epi-pen with her and used it.  She was treated, GiVen some ind of injection, and they put her in prednisone again.  Problem is she only had one epi with her.  The doctors there have no idea hat an epipen is, apparently they don't have them there.  Does anyone know how she can get an epipen or other form of epinephrine injection in Cuba?  Since she has no idea what she reacted to, she cannot avoid, and I am going out. Of mind thinking she will react again without an epi.  And the closest hospital is 20 minutes away.

No advice that's better than what you have already gotten.  Thinking of you both and hoping she returns home safely tomorrow morning.  Hang in there!   :grouphug:

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »
She will not be returning tomorrow.  Part of the decision is how long and how many connections it would take.  Similar to the mom getting in minutes before the family in Home Alone.  And Part if it is getting through customs from Cuba with a last-minute change of itinerary.  The chaperone will be calling me again tonight.  But it looks like she is sticking it out one more day before coming home. 

Tomorrow I will be doing my best research to find a pharmacy near her connection, so she can hopefully get an epipen there. 
USA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 09:06:22 PM »
hedge,

don't know where she'll be coming into US, but if you know one of us is in city at/near that airport, perhaps we could get a pair to her at airport from our own, if you are unable to get Rx via pharmacy?

Can you post what city she flies into when returning to US before she connects on?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
Good idea.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »
I hope you get some sleep tonight.  I'm so sorry this happened.  I feel for you.  I will keep you posted. 

Home Alone, yeah that is my embassy story.  Turns out the Canadian Embassy in the Cayman Islands, is in Jamaica which is not particularly convenient for getting replacement passport which are only required because you have a flight that stops in the US.    Take a very inconvenient and expensive side from to  Jamaica or your pay for another flight for six year old to fly home alone on a direct flight bypassing the US and which leaves after your connecting flight. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
Just seeing this now.  No advice to add, just :grouphug: .
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »
There is no embassy or consulate.  No diplomatic relations between US and Cuba.  If they were to have a problem that would require going to a consulate, they were instructed to go the Swiss consulate.  The US has an agreement with them since they are a neutral country.

This sounds like the kind of situation that might qualify.

:-[

I'm just aching for YOU, Hedgie-- for her to be so far away and this happening where you can't really be there and see that she is okay.  Every time you get off the phone, I'll bet.  I sure wish that there was some way for her to just come home NOW-- and to carry epinephrine while she is doing it.

It seems really clear that she shouldn't be without it even for the duration of the flight.   :grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 05:29:09 AM »
Just got up.  Surprisingly I slept.  In fact, I fell into a deep, dreamless, uninterrupted sleep, unlike the restless interrupted the I usually get for the last 15 years.  I woke early, but much more rested than usual. 

Thanks again, everyone.  I never thought I would have to worry about DD like this. DS, sure.  He has had multiple issues, PA being just one, since he was a toddler.  But DD never had any chronic or serious health issues and has always been so independent that I knew she was just going to go away and be fine.  Better off than I would be in the same situation, even. 

Turns out she has a six hour layover in Tampa.  I already called our CVS where she got her epipen rx filled to begin with.  They said it will be no problem fir them to transfer the rx to another CVS, and if the closest pharmacy to the airport is another one, they can transfer tat too, just slightly more work on their part.  The chaperone also said there might be a clinic in the airport, so I can look into that first.

I have to do all the re search because they have no Internet and very limited phone.  Not that I mind doing it.  It's just frustrating that I have to find out what I can, then try to to get in touch with them, or worse, wait for them to call me.  And even calling them is very hit-or-miss on actually through.  Sometimes the call gets to the hotel, sometimes not.  The connection is sometimes good, but some times pretty bad and hard to hear.  Then if who I ask for, whether DD or chaperone, is not in the room, there is no way to leave a message or get the call back to the hotel operator.  I just have to hang up and try again.  It's like going back to my childhood in the 70s, communication-wise. 

USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 05:57:21 AM »
I'm glad you got some sleep. I imagine your body was reeling like never before--in response. 

So professionally, when I lived in big cities, I used courier services all the time. It was more cost effective for someone else to run across town, you know?

Just remember that as an option for getting the epis to the airport. I think her going to CVS would be preferable, but keep that in mind. You can google them.

Just ((hugs)). I'm really sorry for the hell you've gone through. I can't imagine.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »
Yeah, we talked about  a courier while waiting to hear how long her layover was. But with six hours, she may actually want something to do. Even if the flight is late and it takes three hours to get through customs (they estimate two), there should still be time to get to CVS, get back and through security, and still make the connection. There are four CVS locations within three miles of the airport, so a quick cab ride.  And a chaperone would be going with her. 
USA

Offline yelloww

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »
She should get liquid Benadryl while she's at the cvs. Like the giant bottle.