EMERGENCY. Need help NOW

Started by hedgehog, January 23, 2014, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog

Good idea.  Or pick some up in Cuba today.  She does have some, but pills.  We bought it just before her trip. 
USA

lakeswimr

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

hedgehog

As don't have any American brands in Cuba, I have someone looking into what she would look for there.  He is also going to get back to me on how to say anaphylaxis and epinephrine, in case she needs to seek care again. 
USA

PurpleCat

Just seeing this today.   :grouphug:

I'm guessing you feel so very far away.........................She may be 18, but she's your babe.  So sorry this has happened and I'm hoping there are no more reactions. 

Macabre

twinturbo

Be Right Back. Means she's getting it.

Just checking in. Got a few minutes so making another Google-fu round on epinephrine in Cuba. I figured an American product won't be on market so I stuck to the other names like Jext, Adrenaclick. All I can come up with are the allergist names.

Other thoughts go to intl relief orgs as starting points to track it down.

Cuban Red Cross

QuoteAddress:
Calle 20 #707 entre 7ma.y29 Playa
Ciudad de la Habana
C.D. 11300 Cuba
Ciudad de la Habana

Postal Address:
C.P. 10300

Contact Information:
Tel: (53) (7) 206 10 55/206 14 03
Fax: (53) (7) 206 10 58
Telex: 511149 MSP CU para Cruz Roja
Telegram: CRUROCU HABANA
Email: crsn@infomed.sld.cu
Web: http://www.sld.cu/sitios/cruzroja/

I also took a short stroll on expat/travel forums. One guy recommends taking cabs is faster than the run down ambulances. There's a good chance that varies by geography.

Macabre

We used this in Mexico.  And Texas, lol.  I will paste all and then edit and take out what's unncessary.

My son/daughter is allergic to peanuts. He cannot eat even one peanut or one drop of peanut oil or any peanut products. Eating them could cause his death.
Mi hijo/hija tiene alergia a cacahuetes. No puede comer ni un cacahuete, ni una gota de aceite de cacahuetes ni productos de cacahuetes. Comiéndolos puede causar su muerte.

Does this food have peanuts or peanut products in it?
Esta comida tiene cacahuetes or productos de cacahuetes?

Are there any nuts at all in this (food)?
Esta comida tiene algún nuez?

Was this fried in peanut oil?
Está esto frita en aceite de cacahuete?

Was this made with peanut flour?
Esto tiene harina de cacahuete?

I need to call an ambulance.
Necesito llamar una ambulancia.

Where is the hospital?
Dónde está el hospital?

It is very important that you bring epinephrine.
Es muy importante que traigan epinefrina.

This is an emergency. We must get to the hospital in 15 minutes or my son/daughter could die.
Esta es una emergencia. Tenemos que llegar al hospital dentro de 15 minutes or podría fallecer mi hijo/hija.

Anaphylaxis
anafilaxia

Macabre

Okay--I kept the top part for future use, highlighting the words for peanuts and nuts.  The stuff below the line would be applicable.

It's possible that there are some regional variances (this was translated for me by a friend who has a very successful court interpretation business in Dallas--she was born in Mexico), but the basic stuff should be understandable.

GingerPye

Just seeing all of this.  OMGoodness.  I'm sorry you are going through all of this; so glad your DD is okay after that reaction.  I hope you are able to get her home very safely.  TG you were able to sleep so that you are able to continue today.  TG there are so many people here with good info and help!  SOAK, right?   :yes:  Big, Big hugs to you.   :grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

hedgehog

Thanks.  Unfortunately I have no way of texting or emailing (they have cell phones or computer access) so I will have to limit whatever translations I give her to what she can get over the phone.  And she never took Spanish (she takes French) so that makes it harder.

And thanks, TT for all the research you have been doing as well. 

I just got back from CVS.  They are filling it now so it will be ready when she gets there tomorrow.  I already texted the address to them so when they land and turn on their cell phones, they will have it.

As long as she survives the next 24 hours or so, she will be fine.
USA

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

LinksEtc

I don't have any advice, but I'm so sorry that you and your dd have to be in this difficult situation.

:grouphug:

GoingNuts

Mac, another word for peanuts in Latin America is mani.  (I have no idea how to get an accent mark over the "i".)  I'm not sure which word they use in Cuba.

(((Hugs))) to you HH. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview