EMERGENCY. Need help NOW

Started by hedgehog, January 23, 2014, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinturbo

I know we can't do much more but if you need last minute multiple phone calls to make don't hesitate to delegate. I am at your/her service and I'm far from alone on this. #TeamFAS

hedgehog

She called.  It had to be a quick call, so I gave her all the info I needed to.  She said he feels really good, which is a bit of a relief. Of course,I can't thinking that its not a matter of how she feels now, but how she feels if she is again exposed to her unknown allergen.  But feeling good now is at least better than still feeling the effects of yesterday. 

I got a text from CVS saying it is ready, so she can go pick the epi up as soon as she clears customs tomorrow. 

Thanks for everything.  This is such a great community.  I haven't really told any of my IRL friends about all of this, or family outside of DS and DH.  But I got such great support here.  And I will let you know as soon as I hear from her again.  She better call as soon as her plane lands!

USA

momma2boys

Do you think it is another allergen or a recurrance of the reaction from the vaccination? Maybe a .normally mild allergy but her glass is full.from last reaction?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

ajasfolks2

Did not see this discussed, and not sure if you'll get to communicate with her again.

It would taste like crud, but anyone could chew a benadryl tablet.  If the benadryl is the powder caplets, might be able to open and get to the powdered form.  If have time, could mix crushed tablet/powder with sugar water or other cola, perhaps to make it easier to get down and not gag.

I have no idea how horrible benadryl might taste in that form, but if push comes to shove . . .

And if somebody knows some reason why one would NOT want to do this, please say so.

{{hugs}} hedge
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

hedgehog

I think her body is way out of whack.  She was recovering from mono when she got the vaccine.  Then she had that horrible rash with swelling eye, likely from that, but at this point, who knows?  The reason the doctor said she thinks it was the vaccine was that there was nothing new, no foods, lotions, soaps, etc that  she had not used many times before.  But in light of this new reaction, maybe she has developed an allergy to something she used to be OK with.  Or maybe she has always had a minor allergy to something, but now that she had that first reaction, her cup is full and she reacted big time.  She has had minor reactions to something unknown on occasion (eczema, twice she had tingly lips after eating foods she had eaten many times).  She also tried lobster, on this trip.  But the timing isn't right for that to be the only thing-- she had developed the rash before having the lobster, but then got worse hours later( I am fuzzy on the timeline, but the rash started at least a day before other symptoms). 

So hard to tell with everything that has been going on with her body just what is causing what, what might be coincidence, and whether this is something likely to happen again, or something quirky because of everything going on recently. 

I called a local allergist to try to get a recommendation of who she should see near her school.  She won't be home, home for months.  I left a message, and he has not called back.  Does anyone have any recommendations if someone good.  Sorting out this mess will take a very good allergist, I think.  I know some of you know where she is.  I know that there are excellent doctors at Duke, but there is a wait to get in there, correct?  Since we have no idea what she needs to avoid, I would like her to see someone sooner rather than later. 
USA

hedgehog

I told her she should get liquid.  She has benedryl that they gave her a prescription for at the hospital in Cuba, but it is pill form.  I told her if she can possibly get liquid to do so.
USA

Macabre

Yes. Wesley Burks is a pediatric allergist, a food allergy guru (is responsible for most of the OIT research). I think she could still get in. He was at Duke and is now at UNC Chapel Hill. I believe from the letter he sent me (2 yeasts ago) he is taking patients but he's like head if pediatrics. 

It's not a hard drive for her--an hour or hour and a half.

The only other rec I could make is 2 hours north, but if she doesn't go to Raleigh/Durham, I would stay in the town she's just east of.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Mookie86

Just seeing this.   :grouphug:  What an ordeal you've endured for the past few days.  Thank goodness she had epi with her, and it sounds like the chaperones are handling this really well. 

I hope she has no more reactions and that you can figure out what triggered it.  :heart:

starlight

I don't know much about vaccine science, but maybe she came in contact with the real germ she got the vaccine for and her body flipped out? Hoping for her sake that it's something like that and not a new food allergy. And that she gets home safe.  :grouphug:

Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

yelloww

Please post as soona s she lands in Tampa! Fingers crossed today for you all.

hedgehog

Planning on it.  Her flight from Havana is in about an hour and a half, so I guess she is either at the airport or on her way.
USA

Mookie86

Checking to see how much longer until she has an epipen.  Thinking of you!

Macabre

Woke up thinking about y'all. I hope you got some sleep last night.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

There will be a lot of FASers holding thei collective breath today.  :heart:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview