Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

Can't wait to see that she is home, safe and sound.  And I'm so glad to hear she wants to see an allergist.   :yes:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

TabiCat

Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

jenavy21

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

hedgehog

Just got off te phone itch DD, and got a much more full story.  I don't have time to go into all details, but one thing that is somewhat shocking is that she has no idea what tey gave her in the hospital, because they didn't want to tell, and actually changed their story.  They gave her an IV.  When asked tey didn't want to say what it was, but then said sugar water and hydrocortisone.  Then she got sick, threw up all over, and they told her they had given he something to induce vomiting. But would not say what.  Theanslator would have a long conversation with the doctor, then translate it as two words.  So she is really in the dark as far as what was in the IV. 

And as happy as I am with everyone I dealt with from her school,I am not pleased with one chaperone.  This chaperone was with DD during her reaction, agreed DD needed her epi, and had given herself one in the past.  But refused to administer to DD, who felt physically unable.  Luckily one of the students on the trip is an EMT, and gave her the epi and, along with the other chaperone, went to the hospital with her.

I have to go, but will post more details tonight or tomorrow.
USA

twinturbo

Now that she's back do you think details in OT, or this tweeted thread?

hedgehog

I am back.  So the timeline, I had been very fuzzy on before.  It seems that the day after she finished the prednisone, the rash came back.  Started mild, and got worse over te next couple of days.  Then on Wednesday her eyes were puffy.  She took it kind of easy that day.  That night she did not drink a drop, although they went out as a group and most were drinking rum.  She went back to the hotel early, too.  Good thing, because in the morning she felt sick and it might have been dismissed as a hangover had she been drinking.  Not feeling well, she went into te bathroom.  She was laying on the bathroom floor when someone came in to check on her.  She felt like she was going to throw up, her hands were shaking, she felt I guess a little lightheaded, and her legs became numb.  That is when she got the epipen injection.  They took her to a nearby hotel that some healthcare in it. They gave her oxygen and a benedryl injection then sent her to the hospital from there.

So, up until she really started feeling bad, she hada great time.  I am happy about that.  But now the question is, did this reaction really take several days to develop, or was there one reaction, a rash, followed by another, more severe reaction?  And if course, we still don't know what triggered it.  Maybe te vaccine, but maybe something else. 
USA

CMdeux

Ugh-- yeah, little chance that anyone thought to take a blood sample or find out if she had elevated histamine at the time, eh? 

It certainly sounds as though it could be protracted anaphylaxis from the injection initially-- and that it just rebounded once she was off of the steroids.

I'm so glad that she is okay.   :grouphug:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GoingNuts

Ho-lee Cow, that is scary.  :o  So glad she is back home. 

Now for the detective work to figure out WTH happened!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

maeve

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview