Nickel Allergy? Allergic Living writer looking for interviews

Started by Carolyn Black, July 15, 2014, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolyn Black

Hi Folks :)

The kind moderators here have given me permission to request interviews from forum participants who suffer from a nickel allergy. I am writing a feature for Allergic Living magazine as an update to an article I wrote for them back in 2007 that's been online since 2010, here: http://allergicliving.com/?s=nickel

With new research and a huge surge in the use of electronic devices, like tablets and cell phones, that may contain nickel it's time for new look at nickel allergies. If you're interested in sharing your experience with the allergy please contact me at mcarolynblack@rogers.com - I'm just starting my research so I'm not sure exactly what questions I'll be asking at this point but I need to start compiling my list of interviewees.

We're looking for Americans and Canadians and we hope to use real names and photos but if you prefer to use a pseudonym and your story is really compelling we may be able to work with that. At this point just contact me and I'll keep you posted on when the interviews will take place - likely through email but phone can be arranged as well.

Thanks in advance! I have a nickel allergy and haven't worn any jewelry in years - interested in hearing how other people cope with the "prickle of nickel'. ;)

Cheers,
Carolyn Black
Twitter: @mcarolynblack
email: mcarolynblack@rogers.com

CMdeux

:bye:  Hi Carolyn!

Carolyn has been a long-time member of our FAS community-- I've known her for at least a decade now.  She's done some great work in her writing about the experience of living with allergies.  Lots of education and outreach over the years!

It's great to see you're following up on this, Carolyn.  I was surprised by the media reports this week re: atopic dermatitis linked to an iPad-- http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/14/us-apple-nickel-idUSKBN0FJ2OD20140714.    This was really not something that I'd considered, though I feel a bit sheepish that I didn't think about it. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Carolyn Black

Thank you for the kind welcome! I used to be known as Cayley's Mom back in the day - Cayley was diagnosed with a milk allergy as an infant, outgrew it at age 2 and promptly developed a peanut allergy.

I've met so many wonderful, amazing people (e.g., Bensmom and GoingNuts!) since Cayley's diagnosis and I continue to meet great people through the Allergic Living community. Cayley is now 17 years old and I'm so proud of how she manages her peanut allergy independently - that's in no small part due to the parenting tips I took from this and other forums on how to foster that independence. You are all amazing; thank you for all the outreach and education you do! :)

GoingNuts

:bye: Hey Carolyn!  :bye:

Good luck win the research.  I hope younger some good responses here.

17!  Guess you guys are thinking about university. Another good magazine topic, lol.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Carolyn Black

Hello again! :)

Just bumping this - the Allergic Living Facebook page and Twitter feed have posted the request for stories and their contact information as well. Instead of sending the stories directly to me you can email them to editor@allergicliving.com and they will be forwarded. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Carolyn

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview