FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FDA Warns Of Life-Threatening Reactions With Acne Products  (Read 2174 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: FDA Warns Of Life-Threatening Reactions With Acne Products
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »
For the last few years I've reacted to benzoyl peroxide products. I get raised welts where I put it. If I wrote on my face, is have a raised, red W on my face in the morning.

But I didn't think it was possible to be allergic to it. This is interesting.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:51 AM »
Well, I intend to keep spot treating at least occasionally since I seem to be able to use benzoyl peroxide successfully, and so much else DOES irritate my skin or make me break out even worse. 

:hiding:

It's also the only stuff that really works like a charm for DD.  She uses it pretty judiciously, though.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:49:28 PM »
I wonder if those reacting to salicylic acid have previously undiagnosed allergies to aspirin? I have used both products without problem (along with tetracycline, topical clindamycin and other prescription acne drugs).  I balked at using accutane in my 20s.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
this is interesting.  Once I put something with alpha hydroxy on ds and he had a horrific reaction.  He has very sensitive skin and excema, so at the time I didn't think much about it.  He has taken accutane and skin is great, but when he dabbed Retin A on a few areas, it irritated his skin. 

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes