login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: ds doing challenge on Wed  (Read 15672 times)

Description:

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: ds doing challenge on Wed
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
I'll mention that to him, Macabre!  Thanks for the idea/reminder. 
My dh is not that happy about it.  He sees it as an unnecessary risk.  Honestly, NO way I would do it if we didn't have the information from uknow test. 
My ds lives pretty normal life, but i do think sometimes it holds him back socially when kids are going out to different places.  we have several new places to eat/get treats in town and they are no good for him with outright peanut stuff (red mango has pb yogurt or whatever they serve, several new places have thai offering etc. )   
I hope good decision.  I feel weird too, need to buy a jar of pb for the challenge.  I am wired to pass right by that section.  cannot imagine buying a jar!  lol
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

hk

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
Best of luck to you guys!  I hope he passes!

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
When I was at the store today, I realized I need to buy peanut butter!? 
was talking to ds tonight about the test to be sure he's good to go tomorrow.  He asked again about the uknow and wanted to know if its more accurate in its prediction about severity of reaction than the weather forecasters lol.
I showed him where the hospital is in relation to the dr office (same street about 1/4 mile away) 
Hopefully it goes well.  I think I will feel so much guilt if this doesnt go well.  I think it will though.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »
Keep us posted tomorrow!  What time is it?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
230 est

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
I will be thinking of you tomorrow!   ds2 did his PN challenge with Reese's Pieces.  Dr. Wood said that goes better than PN because it tastes better and because the thickness of PB can make your throat feel weird even without an allergic reaction.

:luck:

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
that's interesting!  how did they measure the dose?  I thought they use pb so they can be specific about how much he's getting? 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
I'll be thinking about you both, Mfamom.   :heart: :heart:

Mfamom-- I think that each individual candy has a pretty uniform amount of pn in it.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »
They had a precise dosing regimen.  He ate 1 Reese's Pieces, we waited 30 minutes or some set timeframe to monitor, then he ate an increasing amount.  I don't think there's time for you to use this protocol tomorrow, but I believe I can track down the dosing schedule if it would be helpful to you.  I'm pretty sure I kept the information how many he ate in each portion.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
I would take both PB and Reese's Pieces. And an extra shirt and sweat pants just in case.

I am hoping for good things!!!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »
thanks for info on the reeces peices!  Never thought about a change of clothes. 
I won't lie, I'm starting to panic.  Bad.  Thinking bad thoughts like what if this is his last day!?  OMGosh, I'm not a drama girl, but I'm starting to meltdown.  I do think it will b okay though. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
I got through ds' food challenge by repeatedly singing Kyle Dine's Epi Man silently in my head.  I found it reassuring.  I know it's weird, but it's what worked for me.

Good luck getting through tomorrow, and I hope it has a successful outcome.  :grouphug:

Offline daisy madness

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
My DS had an egg challenge last summer.  He's 5, so it was a little easier I think, because he didn't really have any understanding of the risk.  He failed it on the third bite, but the doctor's office was ready to respond with the epi immediately.  And DS was not traumatized at all.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
I won't lie, I'm starting to panic.  Bad.

I was, too, before DD's egg challenge.  I was crying the day that I made the challenge brownies just from the stress... virtually hyperventilating the night before...

I had to keep reminding myself that Dr. Awesome has almost as much sense of responsibility and fear as we do w/r/t DD, and he knows what her allergies are like.  He knows how scary it is, and he's prepared.  The "worst" that would happen (probably) is that she'd get Epi'ed, and that the allergist and his staff would see some SERIOUSLY wack shiz  (the stuff we've been telling them all these years, basically)-- now, at the start of adolescence, that pair of things seemed like a really positive thing either way.  I knew that no WAY would I let them continue a challenge if DD started to feel 'off' and want to stop, not that the allergist would do it anyway. 

I know that you trust your doctor, too, Mfamom.  They won't let you down.   :grouphug:

Your family has a lot of people holding you near and dear in our thoughts.  KNOW that.   :heart: 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:43:32 AM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:36 AM »
Thinking about your family this morning. Maybe it's because both DS and I have had reactions recently for which Epi has helped, but I imagine (though wouldn't know) that if I were in your shoes, I might not be worried about having such dire consequences--just a reaction. I would think that with so many eyes on DS, a reaction wouldn't cascade into worst possible scenario. I don't know--maybe I would have the same fear, but reading yours surprised me and made me say "Oh!" internally.

Try not to think of the worst.

Just trust your medical team. And those wonderful Uknow results!  And know that we are all pulling for him! 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts