ds doing challenge on Wed

Started by Mfamom, January 26, 2014, 11:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

momma2boys

Wow, just so so happy for you guys! Just life changing. He must be ecstatic.   :thumbsup:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Mookie86

First thing I did when I got home is check this thread.   Wow, I hope the rest of the challenge went well and is officially no longer PA!!!!

SilverLining

Still keeping everything crossed for you.  Glad it"s going well.

momtoAidenDeclan

Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

rebekahc

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Mfamom

Thanks for checking in everyone!!  I never in my wildest dreams ever thought this day would come.  My ds was pretty nervous.  in the car, he lamented that he forgot to tell me to bring shorts in case he needed the epi pen because he didn't want to ruin his favorite jeans!  then he told me he felt like he would if someone told him that bullets wouldn't kill him anymore and told him to pull the trigger of a loaded gun.  yikes!
dr talked to him first about hte test and what the results mean.  told him to relax and not fail because he's nervous.  took vitals, did checked oxygen level, blew in the peak flow meter etc.
He didn't give him any time to think about that first dose, basically said stick out your tongue and swiped the pb on it with tongue depressor. 
he increased dose every 10 min working up to two tablespoons of pb. 
The only thing I noticed is he seemed a tiny bit wheezy at one point, but dr checked vitals again and there was not a change!
He rode home with my dh.  I stopped and bought him a bunch of candy that he's never had/can't have.  I think my ds is in shock.  He's pretty even mood wise, even when he's really happy about something.  I also wonder if he identifies so much with having the allergy that he is feeling odd to be without it?  does that make sense?
All I know is I am one happy mommy.
Thank you for your support gals!!!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Mookie86

So happy that he passed!   :happydance:

Enjoy trying new foods, and enjoy not having to worry about PNs!

If you want to talk about what it's like as a parent, I'm happy to commiserate.  I had a hard time no longer viewing peanuts as poison.  It took a long time, and I shed a lot of tears about his eating peanuts now.

GoingNuts

Omigoodness, omigoodness, omigoodness!!!

This is such amazing news - and I'm so happy he has something positive to hang his hat on during what's been a difficult year, KWIM?

Hooray for Mfamom's son!!!  :happydance:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

joanna5

David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Macabre

I just sat through two really awful plays by thinking about your DS. I was imagining his going to get ice cream.

I can't wait to tell my DS later tonight. Wow.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Mfamom

that's so sweet, Macabre. 
Think of all the "firsts" at nearly 16 years old! 
He is such a funny kid.  He came home, ate dinner, did homework and is playing xbox right now.  Has hockey later. 
No hooting and hollering.  nothing.  He isn't a hooter or a hollerer so I shouldn't b surprised.  LOl
wonder how long it takes to undo my habits like reading every label, calling places, saying do you have your epi pen?  seems surreal
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview