King's Hawaiian - Great Customer Service

Started by PurpleCat, January 27, 2014, 01:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleCat

Well, I just had to post this.  Someone here has mentioned King's Hawaiian as a safe option for sesame allergen safe rolls.

I had never seen them before and suddenly, I saw them at Target.  I sent an email to double check.  I got a wonderful response to both my allergy questions....exposure to sesame seeds (none) and is the egg ingredient baked in or a wash on top (baked in the batter).

A few days later, I received a card in the mail from King's Hawaiian thanking me for my interest and including a couple coupons "for you and your daughter to enjoy your first bit of "sweet" on us.  Well, this card was hand written with a lovely note.  I showed DD and she was shocked!  No email, no form letter, a personal note hand written in pen!

So far we have tried the mini sub rolls, dinner rolls, sandwich rolls and hamburger rolls.  What a thing to be able to tell a family hosting my DD that they can buy safe rolls.  I don't always have to make them!  Now to find their hotdog buns!

CMdeux

We probably should try them at some point-- not sure that DD's egg tolerance is high enough for them, though.

Don't really want to risk that other than at home.  She eats Franz stuff with egg yolk ingredients, but not whole egg.

Thanks for the reminder, though-- I will try picking up some of these for this weekend!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hk

That is so nice!  I will definitely buy those if dd can ever tolerate baked egg.  I love stories like that since they are so few and far between.  Enjoy them!

hezzier

Yup, buy them all the time when we need a roll for something.  They are getting easier to find as well.

Macabre

The mini subs are the perfect size for sandwiches. I always use then fiends and me for speech tournaments. You know how eating a sandwich from a full slice of bread is big and awkward around other adults? These are the perfect size.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

maeve

Quote from: CMdeux on January 27, 2014, 04:03:33 PM
We probably should try them at some point-- not sure that DD's egg tolerance is high enough for them, though.

Don't really want to risk that other than at home.  She eats Franz stuff with egg yolk ingredients, but not whole egg.

Thanks for the reminder, though-- I will try picking up some of these for this weekend!

Just thought I would share that our directions from Dr. Wood state that DD can eat egg containing commercially made goods if egg is listed in the bottom third of the ingredients. I'll pull our letter and find the exact words. I haven't tried Kings with DD. Her base baked egg dose was set at 1/16.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

CMdeux

Yeah, DD's tolerance is still pretty low.  She can get away with baked goods containing egg YOLK, but we've never tried whole egg in more than "low" amounts.  Not even standard cake amounts.  But it might be worth trying.  Could be a good way to get a good-sized dose in her, too. 

(DD's allergist wants us to NOT push her dose very high, though-- she doesn't tend to "hold" her dose well, which seems to anecdotally be a warning sign that she's in the unlucky group with desensitization)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

maeve

It sounds like your DD not holding her dose is much like what Dr. Wood's nurse practioner told us. They're finding that their baked egg patients are not holding the tolerance as well as baked milk. I imagine it's likely due to the nature of the proteins.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

jenavy21

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview