Well it finally happened

Started by jenavy21, January 23, 2014, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenavy21

So today I was at the store where I started to feel like I was wheezing on and off.  Went to drive to pick kids up from school, and it got worse, throat tightening.   Mom took me to ER since we were closer to hospital and my Dad went and picked up the kids.   Got there and they gave eli, benadryl and another steroid both in IV.   About 3 hours later started barky cough again so they gave me a neb treatment.  Told me to stay on Benadryl, Pepcid (around the clock), and steroids for next serval day.   Have the report to bring to my doc in the morning.  The bad thing is I have ZERO idea what happened!!!  I hadn't ate anything all day.......

rebekahc

I'm glad you're okay!

What type of store was it - grocery?  I tend to get localized reactions from touching the cart, so I'm always super careful not to touch my face (really any time I'm in public, not just the grocery) to try and prevent a systemic reaction. I do have airborne reactions to peanuts, and DD has had airborne reactions to shellfish at the grocery.

Even if not a grocery, it could be you touched a contaminated door handle or other surface since people eat everywhere.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

jenavy21

Thanks!  Definitely scared me and the difference the epi made was HUGE.  The nurse was great and told me to remember that feeling and stay as composed as I can and go to hospital if I have to do it again.  We went in Target for maybe 10 mins and Joanns for 5.  No one had food anywhere around me although my son was in cart, but my mom pushed him for the most part.  The only difference I can think of is about an hour or so before that we gave the horse a cookie.  No idea what are in them.  And I would have thought enough time had passed.  I will see what primary says tomorrow and how soon I can get established with allergy.  ER doc recommends possible patch testing to try to figure out what today was about, but I don't know what that is. 

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

PurpleCat

Wow!  The unknown is so difficult.  Allergies can be such a puzzle and when there is a reaction from an unknown allergen there are so many variables to figure out.

I hope you and your doctor are able to identify what triggered your reaction.  So glad you are OK.

CMdeux

What a relief that you are okay. 

That nurse gave you great advice-- if nothing else, you have been given the tremendous GIFT of seeing how fast and how much epi helps.

Funny you should mention Target, though-- for years, my own DD has had asthma every time she sets foot in the place.  We eventually just shrugged and quit going in there for anything with her.

I have no idea what that is all about, but she is very very sensitive to some of her allergens, so it's possible that it's an aerosol of something foody, and we just don't know what.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

And I started to type it and thought better if it, but two members have reported reactions at Target--just from walking inside. I believe one was anaphylactic if I remember (thinking of Chandra).

There was nothing identified as the cause. Maybe walking past the good area?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

Ate/drank absolutely nothing, or very little? lip balm? old toothbrush?

maeve

Many Targets do have a food stand that sells Pizza Hut and popcorn. Most in my area also have Starbucks (which has a new hazelnut latte). I've had a couple of reactions at Target but they've been skin reactions to something; my hands have looked like they were burned. For me, the most likely sources would be some cleaning chemical.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

jenavy21

The only thing I had drank maybe 2 sips of that morning was raspberry iced tea to take my morning medication.  I wrote it down, but I don't think it was that.  We are guessing that it has to do with something inhaled possibly outside around my house but just took a bit to hit.  At first it seemed very slow and then reaction quickened.  Either way primary care put in referral did basic panel of allergens for blood test (I don't think sesame is part of it), but suspecting nuts are playing a part.  This Target didn't have a Starbuck's and I didn't notice food court until we were checking out, so no real smells that I had noticed. 

Primary had to give another neb treatment Friday morning and also gave meds for neb at home.  I have had reactions yesterday and today.  Yesterday seemed like reactions from going in my parents house ( they have birds and their seed has nuts) and today eating granola by Enjoy Life (should be safe for me).  BUT their granola has strawberries and although I have never had a problem before they are linking back to Monday (minor reaction strawberry banana frozen yogurt) I thought it was safe and found out after possible peanut contamination even though label didn't warn,  so who knows. 

I did learn Epi was safe and it helps tremendously.  It's been a long few days.  As it seems like everything is a problem right now.  And everything is out of control.   The blood primary drew I have no idea if it will show anything since I had already been pumped full of steroids, but she thought it was worth a shot.  Since at this point we need to figure something out because it is becoming daily and we have no idea why so extreme all of a sudden.  Hopefully will settle down and we can figure this out.  So in the mean time I am staying away from strawberries and staying out of my parents house to see if that makes a difference.  Like my Dad said, we have to start sorting out and controlling what we can.

rebekahc

When your mom contaminated your car and you were unable to drive, who drove?  Her? Did she contaminate your steering wheel and then you when you drove to Target?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

CMdeux

Ooooo-- great thought, Rebekah.

Clorox wipes are awesome for decontamination of surfaces, btw.  We always keep a canister of them in every vehicle, and I keep the single packs in my purse and DD's epipen bag.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jenavy21

I honestly never thought of that, but yes she did drive both times when I couldn't.  I know there had been a few days between the incidents where I had drove, but not in the car for a long time.  I will get some clorox wipes tomorrow and wipe it down.  I want to vacuum it out anyway to be safe.  Thank you for the suggestions!!

yelloww

becca

I have nothing to add, other than my support.  I hope you figure this out.  How frightening.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview