FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: WWYD?  (Read 8340 times)

Description: party treats

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: WWYD?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »
So, my final plan is to just bake what ds wants me to bake, and try to get a labelled, packaged treat for the 2 kids with gluten allergies.  I know the 2 with PA only will ask me and choose my treat.  They have eaten every other treat at the other parties(including store bought foods a mom embellished.  Teacher does not seem to care.  I shudder, because dd had this teacher and I was in communication about the allergies and was definately assured things were safe.  I did give stuff for dd.  But, I see now that the teacher pretty much does her own thing and works when we room moms are in for a party!  She is not fully engaged in the party with the kids.  She did help me once, when no other moms showed up to help. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »
If you find  Enjoy Life, the crunchy cookies (chocolate chip or choc choc chip) are better than the soft ones (IMHO).
I have made safe treats for the class that has other FA kids but the kids in question were allergic to nuts and my house is nut free.  I always ask the teacher to contact the other FA patent and tell them I am pa/TNA etc.  I'm not sure I'd be comfortable making a gluten free treat since we don't deal with that.  But I'd think gluten free, dairy free Rice Krispie treats would be the easiest thing to make.  I've found Lucy's at my local grocery store.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 08:01:08 AM »
Another brand of commercial cookie I thought of is Kinnikinnick.  There is a "where to buy" thing on the website which might help you (now or in future).

http://consumer.kinnikinnick.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/consumer.home.html
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »
My DD prefers Lucy's cookies to Enjoy Life cookies.  Our regular grocery store carries them.  You can get them packaged as snack-packs, if you want to go to that expense.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline maeve

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
My DD prefers Lucy's cookies to Enjoy Life cookies.  Our regular grocery store carries them.  You can get them packaged as snack-packs, if you want to go to that expense.

My daughter also prefers the Lucy's cookies.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
This is the first year M has been with other kids that have FAs. There are 4 of them in the the class.

It boggles my mind!

There is the other little boy, the one I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.  Different allergy set, but his family is on the same page as far as cross contam, avoiding may contains, reading labels, sharing food, risk/benefit, etc.  She and I are the only 2 present at all class activities that involve food. We are the only 2 with 504s.  We are the only 2 that use allergist A.

The other two families defer to us "if it's OK with J&H then I'm sure it's fine". They drop off for play dates, no intructions given, no questions asked. One leaves an epi.  One does not. One got snarky when teacher stated she preferred to keep Holiday party food free since it would only be 30 mins. "As an allergy parent myself, I don't understand why....what exactly are the allergies in the room again?". When M was at one of their homes on a short drop off playdate , they tried to talk him out of the no food unless it's approved by mom rule, by saying,"but it's OK for T!"  They use allergist B.  Allergist B says may contains are not an issue  :rant:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)