Interesting perspective on FA from a long time sufferer

Started by ctmartin, February 11, 2014, 01:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctmartin

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this, but I found it an interesting perspective.   If only FA were a one size fits all scenario!  http://bit.ly/1h8J6dX

CMdeux

His misunderstanding of a few things from a medical stance is really worrisome.

I'm not surprised that he was "featured" there, however.  Lo, how things have changed over THERE in 8-9y, let's just say...  ~)

In my case, which I take to be pretty typical, onset of the various allergic reactions are not all instantaneous but progressively worsening, allowing plenty of time for treatment. Their severity and how long they linger appear to depend on the amount of poison taken in. So, yes, ingesting a few errant crumbs of walnut on a plain cake will make me feel quite sick. But please, folks, back up and give me room to breathe; I'm not going to die. The available emergency medications really do work, and they work fast. In my younger years, with minor exposures like this, I survived without medication.

1.  What about those whose situations are NOT "typical" though?

2.  You're not going to die... well, GOSH, I sure hope not, honestly-- but how unbelievably callous of you to say so in light of Natalie Giorgi or Brian Hom's deaths.  They and their families thought that they "weren't going to die" too.     :'(

As long as I haven't swallowed, things eventually turn out just fine.

Okay-- this-- and the entire line of reasoning which FOLLOWS it... is just... staggeringly inaccurate medically.

If my own child had the same all-nut allergy, what would I do? This might shock and appall some parents, but I'd systematically bring the kid into very close sensory contact with every combo of nutty threat I could imagine – without going so far as experimenting with actual ingestion.

Wow.  I'm... speechless.

No, really-- I've got nothin' here, in response to someone who is THAT foolish.

Truthfully-- my DH felt this way until we had real life experience with our DD, though.  He just wasn't suffering from sufficient hubris to actually SAY all of it on a public forum.  That's like asking for the universe to punish you appropriately, as Joel Stein found out.

Karma's the real deal, dude.  That's all I'm saying.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ctmartin

Agree on all points CM!  Yes, I know things have changed over "there" too (for I was also from over there way back when), but there are no words for this.  I am flabbergasted that this was featured, and yes, EXTREMELY insensitive to those who have lost loved ones to FA.

Don't swallow and you are OK?  Even my 8 year old knows better!!

notashrimpwimp

Borrowing someone's toothbrush carries its own perils, possibly complicating the first reaction.

What a dangerous presumption. Heavens to Betsy someone actually follows his personal treatment protocol! That his "article" may influence the opinions and actions of others terrifies me.

eragon

we need an adult allergic person who has had a higher quality of medical support to put their own view on this subject.
His writing reflects very poor medical support and as a result shows plenty of risky behaviours which sadly I have seen in other  allergic adults.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

spacecanada

Thank you, CM, for saying many of the thoughts I had whilst reading this.  This article made me feel very uneasy and the lack of editor notes at the bottom from the site admin (pointing out the risky behaviours and inaccuracies) only made me squirm more. 

I frequently meet adults with allergies who behave like this and tell me I'm being unreasonable or unnecessarily over the top.  The standards for adults with allergies need to be better understood.  We need to educate the adults with allergies, just as much as we do the parents and children! 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

ajasfolks2

That place is a joke and worse . . . a menace in its misinformation.

JMHO>

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

That whole shebang is wack. The site, the "articles"... hopeless. Don't look it in the eyes or acknowledge it. Head down like you're riding public transit.

Mfamom

Quote from: ajasfolks2 on February 12, 2014, 04:30:09 PM
That place is a joke and worse . . . a menace in its misinformation.

JMHO>

QFT!!!!!
although the information in the early 2000s was superb!

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview