Canadian allergen labeling and possible safe bread

Started by hk, February 19, 2014, 01:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hk

I'm planning a trip to Vancouver and Whistler this summer.  I know they label for sesame in Canada, which we are very excited about.  I have done a little preliminary research and it looks like may contain/manufactured on the same equipment statements are voluntary there as they are in the U.S.  I'm wondering which Canadian companies people trust for labeling and which ones are to be avoided (like some of us avoid Kraft in the U.S.).

Also, long shot, but does anyone know of bread that is safe for pn, tn, egg and sesame allergies?  DDs dream is to eat bread from a package.  We thought that *might* happen on our trip to Canada since they label for sesame.

Thank you!

hezzier

You can try this company.  I can get the mini croissants locally...in fact, I bought some yesterday for the kids.  I never called and I don't know what else they make.

Re: La Petite Bretonne Micro Croissants/safe for PA/TNA

hk

Quote from: hezzier on February 19, 2014, 04:12:01 PM
You can try this company.  I can get the mini croissants locally...in fact, I bought some yesterday for the kids.  I never called and I don't know what else they make.

p

Oh wow!  These look like an option.  DD will be so happy if she can have croissants!  Thank you!

SilverLining

Quote from: hezzier on February 19, 2014, 04:12:01 PM

I am allergic to peanut and sesame and avoid all nuts.  I avoid trace amounts as well, as I have reacted to traces of sesame.

I eat these micro croissants.  They have some other safe stuff, but it's harder to find in my area.  Always read the label though.  They do have some stuff that I cannot eat.  I don't remember whether it's peanut nut or sesame though, but it is labelled on the package.

~~~~

Regarding most breads, I have discovered that what is safe in one area may not be safe in another.  Many of the companies have their bread made locally because fresh bread goes stale quickly so they don't want days wasted in transport.

~~~~

Regarding Kraft Canada.....Candy guru trusts them more then I do.  I will eat some of their stuff, but not all.  For example, chip-type foods, especially with pretzels, I will not eat.  After a reaction (IMO a sesame reaction) I called about a product which they said did. It run with sesame.  But what they couldn't assure me of was if all ingredients were from a sesame free line. 

SilverLining

Also wanted to mention, even though sesame is not one of their targeted allergens, look for the CAC labelling.  The ones I have found that are a risk for sesame seed do put it in the May contains.

http://certification-allergies.ca/ns/index.php?action2=&lang=en

Also, a bit more about our labelling.  You are correct that it is voluntary to list cross contamination.  Also, if an allergen is listed as an added ingredient it may not also be listed at the bottom under any ALLERGY ALERT statement.  Read the entire list, just to be certain.

But we do have a clear labelling law, saw it has to be in plain English.  And both peanut and sesame IF AN ADDED INGREDIENT cannot be hidden in a term like spices or flavouring.  But, unfortunately, this does not extend as far as cross contamination.

Anyway, I have to run, but I 'll try to remember to come back and list some companies I trust the labelling of.  Let me know if there are specific foods you'd like (cereal, cookies?) and if I forget to come back here send me a pm to remind me.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview