Lentil recipes?

Started by Penny, January 27, 2014, 11:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny

This might not be the best place to ask for recipes using lentils - guessing that many of you avoid them....but if not, would you share your lentil recipes here?  Thanks.

Mookie86

I'd also love to hear lentil recipes!  Penny, there are plenty of people here who aren't allergic to lentils, so hopefully we'll get some good recipes.  In my case, I'm looking for vegetarian ones.

becca

Yes, Dahl, you can google many recipes for it.  I have only made it once, so I cannot say i have a tried and true recipe.  I looked one up that day. 

I have a soup recipe with Spinach, lentils, some green split peas, and maybe potato?  I will try to find it, as it is a very tastey soup.  I don't do potatoes in it anymore and has been ages since I have made it. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

krasota

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Penny

Thank you so much!!  I'm trying to replace meat in my diet. I'm not much of a meat-eater and realize I need protein, so I'm looking at lentils. I will try the recipes. Thanks again!

krasota

I used to use brown lentils in place of ground beef for sloppy joes.  Worked out just fine.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

becca

Found the recipe for Spinach Lentil Soup:

1 cup uncooked lentils
1/3 cup uncooked split peas
7 cups water or stock
2 bay leaves
2 potatoes
2T olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped(I always use more garlic, in everything)
1 T dillweed, or 2T finely chopped fresh dill
1/2 teasp. black pepper
8-10 oz. fresh spinach or Swiss chard, chopped(6 cups)
1 tsp salt(adjust if you used stock, since it is salty)
2T red wine vinegar

Measure lentils, split peas, water an dbay leaves into a soup pot.  Boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, to keep lentils and peas from sticking, about 30 minutes. 

Dice potatoes into small cubes, and cook until firm, about 5 mins after the boil.  ( I just add them to the soup to cook in it).  Adjust seasonings as needed and enjoy!

In a frying pan(can do this while the lentils cook), saute the onions garlic and dill in the olive oil.  Add the spinach in batches, adding more after it wilts, until all is in the pan, and wilted. 

Add the potatoes,  and spinach mixture to the lentil mixture, and cook for another 30 mins to blend flavors.  Mix in the vinegar about 10 minutes before serving.

So, when I make a soup, I pretty much do it all in the one pot, starting with the mire poix, and adding to it.  Here, I would saute the onion, and garlic, add seasonings, water, lentils and peas and cook for the 30 mins, add the potatoes, and drop in the spinach near the end.  Why use 3 pots and pans???

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview