FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Wacky cake  (Read 10936 times)

Description: Double to 13x9?

Offline MandCmama

Wacky cake
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
I forgot about wacky cake! 4 years egg free and I'm just now remembering an old favorite. Every recipe I've seen specifies an 8x8 pan. Before FAs I was not much of a baker. Is there a good / obvious reason for this? Or can I double the recipe and bake it in a 13x9? Has any one had success with a round layer cake? Cake pops?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline GingerPye

Re: Wacky cake
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
I have doubled and put in a 13X9 pan, but I had to bake longer.  I have done it with a round pan before.  I think I had to grease/flour/use parchment paper and freeze the cake before taking it out.

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline krasota

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »
I use 8" rounds or a muffin pan all the time.  I've never done a 13x9, but I often marble the layers.

I grease/flour the pan (rice or sorghum, as we're also GF) and don't have any issue with the layers falling apart.  If I want to frost, I do freeze to reduce crumbling.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline krasota

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
And can I tag along/hijack?

Has anyone successfully made a *strawberry* wacky cake?  I don't know how to go about this as all the recipes I see call for strawberry jello and we're not doing that.  I've tried blending in pulverized freeze dried strawberries, but it's not sufficient flavor-wise.
--
DH histamine intolerance

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
I found a recipe for strawberry wacky cake tat calls for actual strawberries, not strawberry jello.

http://bread-and-honey.blogspot.com/2008/07/strawberry-wacky-cake.html
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:35 AM »
My wacky cake recipe makes 2 rounds or a 13x9. 

Krasota, how do you make it GF?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
About how long does it bake Beca?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
My recipe says 35 mins "or until done" for either 2- 9" rounds or a single 13"x9" pan.  I think I usually find it needs a bit more, but not sure if I have done it in my newer oven. 

Offline krasota

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/featured_recipe5.php

Options up there, including GF.

We're not almond allergic, so I often use (real) almond extract because it covers up the taste of sorghum nicely.  (As does chocolate.  And orange.)
--
DH histamine intolerance

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »
Hmmm. I had to bake my 8x8 for about 38 min.
Pennsylvania, USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
Well, an 8 inch round would be thicker than a 9 inch, so might need a few extra minutes.  Just do the toothpick test after the 35 mins, or take a peek.  If it looks at all wet on top, I just leave it 5 minutes more or so. 

Thanks, K!

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
I tried the strawberry cake recipe hedgehog linked to. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for food styling. The mini bunts. The white pedestal stand. Yes, please. They were ok. First off, I over filled the mini bundt cups and under baked. The toothpick came out with just a few moist crumbs, but some of the cakes were a little under done. My oven is crap though. As for the strawberry flavor Krasota is after. Not really. I was surprised- it seems like a LOT of strawberries when they're going in. You really can't taste them much, though. The cake is good- the cake is adorable- I just want more bam.

I'm going to try one more time. While not as healthy as nice fresh strawberries, I think it may work.... Frozen strawberries in juice. I'll let them thaw, drain them, use 1 cup juice in place of 1 c water and pulverize 1 cup strawberries.

Thoughts?
Pennsylvania, USA

Offline krasota

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 12:50:35 AM »
I think I'm going to just use strawberries in the frosting.  Maybe a reduction.  Or maybe jam.
--
DH histamine intolerance

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:59 AM »
MandCmama, would love to know how your second attempt works out.  I printed the recipe but did not make it yet.  I was planning to make it for Easter.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 06:01:27 PM »
Tried it with frozen strawberries with sugar. I used the juice from the thawed berries in place of the water ( I did have to add a bit of water as. I was just shy of a cup).

The flavor was much stronger/ better. I over baked them this time though. Can't win!

Btw- using the mini bundts I had enough batter for 12 bundts and 8 or 9 cupcakes.   
Pennsylvania, USA