FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 plans  (Read 4409 times)

Description:

twinturbo

Re: 504 plans
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »
Regardless, back to the 504. You're on the right track. We know you've found the form I'm assuming on the district's web page.

Let's start there. You filled out the form, did you contact the district 504 coordinator and request eligibility? If so was it granted in writing? Who wrote up the 504? Are you satisfied with the accommodations--for that matter have you even had a chance to review it?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »
What I would want in a plan at this school is that your children only eat what you send or what you've approved. Period. 

One of our members here, ajasfolks2, has created some excellent wording about that, but I can't find it. 

About your situation, wow. I don't know what to recommend for a private religious school.  Others here have had that experience.  I know of one here who removed her kids from their private Catholic school, homeschooled for a while, and now her oldest can go to a Catholic high school that is different than where he went before.  It has really worked out for them.

If your school doesn't shape up and get it, it may be less traumatic for your kids to switch (or at least your FA child to switch) than to remain.  Ultimately it's about safety, but inclusion is a goal.  This school, unless it receives federal funds, doesn't have to do what it takes to ensure your child's safety OR inclusion.  A public school does.  Some private schools do great jobs with it. 

But if this school isn't even trying, it can mean far worse social consequences than changing schools. And of course, it can have other tragic consequences.

FWIW, my 16 year old son changed schools:
after K
after 3rd
after 8th

All during the summer. Each time to a different community or state.

He is a happy, well-adjusted kid.  The last move was the absolute best. He has great friends. When we drop him off, it's not uncommon to hear other kids yell, "Hey <DS name!>" And this is a large high school.  Three of his teachers last year at conferences said it's like he grew up here. he has made so many friends, found his niches, and is embracing life at his school.

So--changing schools is not the end of the world.  If things deteriorate further socially at school, it could be worse for her to stay.

I'm really sorry you're in this situation.  ((hugs))

And I'm glad you found us. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
What I would want in a plan at this school is that your children only eat what you send or what you've approved. Period. 

One of our members here, ajasfolks2, has created some excellent wording about that, but I can't find it. 

Mac, is what you're recalling in this recreated thread here?

DOCUMENTING  (cya) 
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
Or is it in an old thread called something like, "Do NOT feed this child" ?

ETA -- here is thread I'm thinking of -- old, but has some strong wording when dealing with schools / staff who just cannot seem to get it:

"DO NOT FEED THIS CHILD!"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:38:44 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline daisy madness

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
That thread on documenting is pure gold.