imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Asparagus recipes  (Read 4829 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Asparagus recipes
« on: March 11, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »
I thought I'd start a thread for the sole glorification of this vegetable. It will be spring soon, right?

We roast spargle a lot (that's the German word for it and what we call it at our house). I get tired of that. So I went looking for other recipes. Found these c

Vegetarian Cassoulet
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quick-white-bean-asparagus-50400000111138/

Lemon Tarragon Asparagus
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-tarragon-asparagus-50400000111101/

Grilled A with Caper Viagarette
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-asparagus-with-caper-vinaigrette-10000002001918/

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

Re: Asparagus recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »
Not a recipe but, I always hated asparagus.  My son and his wife served it last year, and to be polite I took one small one.  It was delicious.  DH also hated it, until that day.  Turns out, we both had it boiled, and probably over cooked.

Now we both like it.

It think it would go wonderfully with lemon...DH is not willing to try it that way.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »
I always had it canned as a child--hated it.  I guess I probably ate it in college.  I remember eating it a lot from the first year we married (also liked beets for the first time, ate lots of new things I never grew up with).  We had a wonderful asparagus steamer about 20 years ago. It was a tall, skinny pot with a basket for loading the asparagus into.  But it rusted.  The pot we still have I think.

I do like it steamed.  I also like it roasted (tossed in EVOO and salted), but DH tends to put more olive oil on it than I prefer. And I do like variety, so these dishes will help.

Lemon is very good on spargel. 

I tried the cassoulet dish tonight.  It's good.  Needs a bit more salt.  I didn't have french bread (I will never have it as long as I'm allergic to sesame), and I didn't have time to make my breadcrumbs, so I used wheat germ.  Not a great idea that one.  But this dish really does have the sense of cassoulet--without the meat, of course.  I like it better than real cassoulet--I am not a fan of pork. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:06:54 PM »
There is a world of difference between steamed/boiled asparagus and roasted/grilled.  Dy cooking gives it more if a meaty flavor, while wet cooking gives it more if a grassy flavor.  I like both, but much prefer the dry cooking flavor.  But it really is a matter of taste, and complimenting what else you are serving.
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:54:37 PM »
Though I find steamed delightful and boiled not. 

Tonight the recipe calls for blanching it. That was fine. It was still a gorgeous bright green when I ate it--after it had been blanched, cooled, then readded to the dish before putting it under the broiler.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »
Really, boiling any vegetable other than potatoes to make mashed potatoes should be forbidden. It does nothing good for them.

When I think as a child the only non-canned vegetables I had were pretty much boiled to death, I wonder how I came out of childhood eating any vegetables at all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:17:07 AM by Macabre »

Offline krasota

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
I sometimes mix up a miso (adzuki bean miso in my case) dressing (miso, red pepper, can't remember what else) and toss lightly steamed or blanched asparagus pieces in it, then let sit for most of the day.  I've done slaw the same way.  I must use rice vinegar and ginger and garlic.  Maybe.  Maybe sesame oil or toasted sesame seeds, but not for Macabre.

Too late to think about it.   :hiding:
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 05:49:29 AM »
Love, love, love, it on the grill - especially with portobellos.

Stir fried with garlic.  Yum.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »
Blanched and then wrapped with cream cheese and prosciutto.  Yummy appetizer!

A friend of mine did this but baked it after wrapping it...too greasy for me but people really liked it.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:28:35 AM »
  I didn't have french bread (I will never have it as long as I'm allergic to sesame), and I didn't have time to make my breadcrumbs,

Do you buy most of your breads and buns?  I have only one or two breads I can buy.  Anything like buns or French, I make.  I have a nice recipe if you have a bread machine.

Love, love, love, it on the grill - especially with portobellos.

Stir fried with garlic.  Yum.

That sound wonderful.  I think I 'll try that if summer ever returns.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »
We grill it, either directly, or in a foil packet.  Drizzled with a bit of home made balsalmic vinegrette.  If the grill is not accessible, I simply steam it al dente in the microwave.  Surprisingly, I have not roasted it, that I recall.  I roast most veggies at some time or another. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-asparagus-with-balsamic-vinegar-2/

this is excellent.  You can shave some parmesan cheese on it prior to roasting also if desired.  If we grill it, we again just drizzle with balsamic when it comes off the grill.

We make asparagus rafts to grill it with toothpicks.  See the picture in the next recipe...we do not make this recipe due to the sesame (I would if no allergy)
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1267648/sesame-grilled-asparagus-rafts

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
So a friend in DE lives on a farm and grows it, I loved getting asparagus from her that was cut fresh in the mornings.  She just posed this on FB for friends who end up with lots of asparagus from her.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/cooking-with-asparagus-00412000074651/

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
Hezz that's where I got the three recipes I posted. :)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
SL the only store bought bread I eat is:

--Pepperidge Farm (and not their buns)
--Kings Hawaiian Bread, which is sweet (I'll use their mini sub rolls and their bread is okay for communion in a pinch)
--_________ Potato rolls. I forgot the name. Those are the buns I can eat.

DH makes bread weekly, and he could make a French loaf if I asked him to.