FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lucky Charms and Fruitloops  (Read 9623 times)

Description:

Offline mkevsmom

Lucky Charms and Fruitloops
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »
Hi! I'm new here!  :bye: Does anyone know if these cereals are OK? I do let her have a couple of GM cereals, Corn Chex, Kix, even Cheerios sometimes. We don't really use Kellogg's cereals much. I am back and forth about whether or not to trust both companies as far as labeling, but they will be using them in Preschool for St. Patrick's Day next week.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Lucky Charms and Fruitloops
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »
My dd has always eaten them.  For years and years.  I cannot recall if I ever called, but we do fine with Kelloggs and GM cereals. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline joanna5

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »
I don't think my kids have ever had Fruit Loops, but they have had both regular and Chocolate Lucky Charms.  In fact, the chocolate version is our go to "vacation cereal".
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline eragon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
we have two versions of your cereals, our lucky charms are certainly less bright, with natural food colourings and flavourings (don't think safe to eat allergy wise for UK nut/milk etc)  Then we have a direct US section, which has big white labels on warning of hyperactivity and ADHD type reactions if children eat them.

It does put you off giving them to kids, we stick to the same boring cereal with no sugar/low  like plain rice krispies, Weetabix and porridge oats.

we also have treat /holiday cereal with chocolate for son, but not suitable for daughter with regard to allergies.

I hate the cereal aisle and the lack of choice really, would avoid any cereal with artificial sweetener like the plague for young children.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline mkevsmom

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:27:19 AM »
Thanks for the input. :)

Eragon, I agree. There are very few cereals we eat, more because they just aren't healthy. I have been trying to do more oatmeal and yogurt and sprouted wheat bagels and less processed stuff. I think I'll let her have them for preK tomorrow, though.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:28:55 AM by mkevsmom »

Offline joanna5

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
We don't eat sugar cereals regularly.  My kids get to pick them out when we go on vacation, though- it makes for an easy hotel breakfast that's super fun and special.  And, because we call it vacation cereal, they don't ever ask for it any other time.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline mkevsmom

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
We don't eat sugar cereals regularly.  My kids get to pick them out when we go on vacation, though- it makes for an easy hotel breakfast that's super fun and special.  And, because we call it vacation cereal, they don't ever ask for it any other time.

That's a fun idea!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »
We look to stay under 10 grams of sugar per serving, but I have to say, we have gotten slack on breakfast cereal from time to time.  Rice crispies are pretty high glycemic load with no fiber, so, I go for a cereal with perhaps a few grams more of sugar, but some fiber.  It is all crap, though.  They don't always have cereal.  Sometimes I make crepes or waffles with oats, applesauce, wheat germ, etc...

But, anyway, I thought we were discussing allergy safety.  We have not had allergy issues with the cereals in question.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »
Oh, this thread totally made me want Lucky Charms. Yes--a treat--like once a year or every other year.  But I really wanted them today.  I didn't realize St. Patrick's Day was so hunger-inducing. :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
Well, when your child cannot eat any nuts or eggs, in anything(which was dd for 10+years), and is not a dairy lover(no yogurts or cheeses, other than very sweet ones) pretty much everything is carbs and high glycemic.   Your standards change.  We all know how it goes...  Cereal gets some milk into her...

We trust Kelloggs.  Presently have a couple of Special K varieties and cracklin oat bran, we use crispix, and sometimes Lucky Charms and fruit loops(we also trust General Mills).  Use all varieties of Chex.  Well, ones that read safe.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:57:16 AM by becca »

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
Well, when your child cannot eat any nuts or eggs, in anything(which was dd for 10+years), and is not a dairy lover(no yogurts or cheeses, other than very sweet ones) pretty much everything is carbs and high glycemic.   Your standards change.  We all know how it goes...  Cereal gets some milk into her...

We trust Kelloggs.  Presently have a couple of Special K varieties and cracklin oat bran, we use crispix, and sometimes Lucky Charms and fruit loops(we also trust General Mills).  Use all varieties of Chex.  Well, ones that read safe.

You have just described my life. Though, DD does love dairy.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »
I eat both!  Getting ready to eat some Lucky Charms (though, the waist doesn't need them) right now :)
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
Hehe.  Just messing with McC!

Offline YouKnowWho