login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Udi's Products  (Read 9333 times)

Description:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: Udi's Products
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
Rudderbird, I'm sorry you felt attacked here. I hope you stay and find the help you need. Welcome!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline krasota

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:35 AM »
The only reason we questioned is because you lumped a non-cereal grain in with fairly closely related cereal grains. It's common in the food allergen and celiac communities to list cousins in a food family together with slashes and to use serial commas for other allergens   Lots of people mistakenly think buckwheat is wheat, so we asked for clarification, that is all.

Welcome!
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 06:21:59 AM »
Welcome Rudderbird!

Back on the topic of Udis.  We will not get into why I eat it, as I have no diagnosed allergy to wheat.  ;)  That is true, but I sometimes use Udis or Schaar products.  My comments only relate to my impression of the quality and taste of the products I have tried. 

I have had Udis a few times now.  One loaf came on the shelf, and is sold at Trader Joe's.  It was okay.  Not wheat bread, but could be used out of the bag when first opened.  As they go stale very quickly, I tend to toast to freshen.  Just lightly.  This works for me.  I only tried a mulitgrain loaf and a white sandwich loaf. 

I tried Schaar, and the loaf was all borken and so hard, and *had* to be toasted to be pallatable.  Lightly so, to soften the bread again, not toasted hard.  I did contact them about the quality, due to the borken pieces of more than half the loaf, rendering it useless for sandwiches.  They were very responsive and sent coupons, so I will use those(one is for $6.50) and give it another chance.  I think I liked the taste better, but not texture.  But similar, really. 

So, I think side by side, I would choose the udis non-frozen shelf product i got at Trader Joe's, since it was good right out fo the bag for a couple of days.  Sometimes, I just like an egg salad sandwich on soft(ish) bread.

I hope that helps you!  Welcome and glad to see your current food plan has you feeling so much better! 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:33:41 AM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »
Our family has tried Udis.

The kids think the muffin products are good . . . but that my homemade is much better . . .

But what I had trouble stomaching was the cost.  Udis is too expensive.  So, we only use them in a real pinch.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
Cost is why I have not tried them.

I have no issue with wheat.  However, they had some buns that were free of my allergens and I thought it would be nice to be able to buy them instead of having to plan ahead and make my own.  So many people that have tried Udi's say they are good.

I don't know if they are expensive comparing to other wheat or gluten free breads though.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
Yes, crazy expensive.  If interrested, I make a flax/egg  sandwich wrap, which is not really *like* bread, but a flat thing one can wrap around deli meat or cheese for a sandwich.  You can actually google it by using "wheat Belly flax sandwich wrap."  Basically ground flax, an egg, oil or butter, bit of baking powder, seasoning as desired.  Low carb and free of many allergens, except not free of egg. 

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »
LOL Udi's is cheap compared to other gluten and egg free brands.  I guess because I have been buying it so long that I no longer balk.  I do find it interesting though that a cheap loaf of white bread made with wheat can go weeks without molding and sometimes GF cannot go hours without refrigerating before it starts molding.  Shuddering flashbacks to Ener-G bread.

My MIL buys and freezes (she will put a few slices in a bag). 

Scharr works for DS1's allergies BUT yeah, breakage is a pain.  I think in part because the lack of egg.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
Welcome here!

Does anyone know if Udis is safe for but allergies?

Just noting, I totally meant "nut" allergies.  Lol.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 09:50:33 AM »
 :rofl:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 12:30:31 PM »
I saw that, spewed coffee. 

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
Welcome here!

Does anyone know if Udis is safe for but allergies?

Just noting, I totally meant "nut" allergies.  Lol.

Udi's