FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Buttermints recipe?  (Read 6856 times)

Description: graduation party

Offline GingerPye

Re: Buttermints recipe?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
Well.  I have found several buttermint recipes to try --- most of them are pretty similar.  So I tried making them yesterday. 

Ummm, does NOT work without milk or butter.  I used my milk free margarine and rice milk.  Only 2 T of rice milk, but apparently the milk protein does have something to do with the consistency.  I had an oooey goooey mess on my counter yesterday.  No way no how was I going to get anything resembling mints out of that mess.

I have not found a "vegan" recipe yet.  I'm thinking it is something like pudding --- another food I have not been able to replicate without cow's milk.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
Yeah, I do not think it is a common item to do homemade.  They are a candy so readily available, if you do not have allergies, so maybe not too many people trying to make them out there.  I was going to suggest coconut oil, but it would be soft above certain temps and a liquid mess as well.  Did your grandmother make hers on her own? 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »
no, I'm sure she bought her buttermints.  Common thing to buy back in the 60s and 70s, as I recall.  But I did find several recipes, and if we didn't have milk allergy, I would make them.  Looks easy enough.  And they are so yummy.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »
The milk ones also use cream cheese, right?  That gives the texture and thickness.  Well, maybe some do not use cream cheese, but I have seen them with.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
yes, some of the recipes I found had cream cheese., but I had found some without.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
I saw a big bag of those mints just the other day at Sam's Club.  No milk on the ingredients.  It listed cream of tartar, so you might search recipes with that.  Here's one http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ay50a66s/after-dinner-mints.html.  It seems like a lot of work, it's probably worth finding out the brand of the Sam's ones and checking for safety - I think it was Richardson's brand, but I'm not positive.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 04:25:14 PM »
Huh.  That recipe looks something like taffy. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma